How can I run "hello world" app demo in IDE without connecting with board?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I run "hello world" app demo in IDE without connecting with board?

Jump to solution
nnxxpp
Contributor III

I am a newbie with NXP board.

I installed MCUXpresso IDE, but now I do not have a board. I installed SDK and created project "hello world" for the board. I built my project. How can I run "hello world" app demo in IDE without connecting with board?

Could I create a simple C/C++ project in the IDE, build and run it?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Alex_Wang
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi, @nnxxpp 

When speaking about the hardware, there are some differences between these two EVK, not to mention that some hardware components might be on different positions along the boards.
One that I’d like to mention is that EVKB comes with an integrated M.2 interface.

About the Software. I’d like to mention that for instance, you will find that there are some Wireless modules that are not supported on both EVK’s. This can be found in UM11441. For more SDK information, I’d recommend you to take a look to the MCUXpresso SDK Release Notes for each board. You can find them inside the SDK bundle.

I strongly recommend you to take a look to the MIMXRT1060/1064 Evaluation Kit Board Hardware User's Guide and MIMXRT1060-EVKB Board User Manual to see with more detail the differences between these two.
All this documents are available in here: https://www.nxp.com/products/processors-and-microcontrollers/arm-microcontrollers/i-mx-rt-crossover-...

SDK: https://mcuxpresso.nxp.com/en/welcome

You can refer to the Quick Start guide on how to use it:Getting Started with the MIMXRT1060-EVK | NXP Semiconductors

I really hope this helps. If you have any other question, please don’t hesitate to ask.

Best regards, Alex

View solution in original post

23 Replies
nnxxpp
Contributor III

@ErichStyger Thank you for your help.

@Alex_Wang Thanks. I have one more question. When I connect board to PC by micro USB cable for debugging (specifically I will run TF Lite model), do I need to power a board by DC IN 5V? As my understanding, it does not need power a board by DC IN 5V for debugging. It is only for standalone working of board.

0 Kudos
Alex_Wang
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi, @nnxxpp 

In general, "micro USB cable for debugging" (Link2 or MCU-Link) can provide power supply and debugging. If convenient, please tell me what development board you are using.

Best regards, Alex

nnxxpp
Contributor III

@Alex_Wang 

Thanks. We are buying Mimrt1060. I dont remember the exact name of the board. I see that there are 2 version of mimrt1060: evk and evkb. What is the difference between MIMXRT1060-EVK / EVKB?

0 Kudos
Alex_Wang
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi, @nnxxpp 

When speaking about the hardware, there are some differences between these two EVK, not to mention that some hardware components might be on different positions along the boards.
One that I’d like to mention is that EVKB comes with an integrated M.2 interface.

About the Software. I’d like to mention that for instance, you will find that there are some Wireless modules that are not supported on both EVK’s. This can be found in UM11441. For more SDK information, I’d recommend you to take a look to the MCUXpresso SDK Release Notes for each board. You can find them inside the SDK bundle.

I strongly recommend you to take a look to the MIMXRT1060/1064 Evaluation Kit Board Hardware User's Guide and MIMXRT1060-EVKB Board User Manual to see with more detail the differences between these two.
All this documents are available in here: https://www.nxp.com/products/processors-and-microcontrollers/arm-microcontrollers/i-mx-rt-crossover-...

SDK: https://mcuxpresso.nxp.com/en/welcome

You can refer to the Quick Start guide on how to use it:Getting Started with the MIMXRT1060-EVK | NXP Semiconductors

I really hope this helps. If you have any other question, please don’t hesitate to ask.

Best regards, Alex

nnxxpp
Contributor III

@Alex_Wang 

I connect board in Debug mode via micro USB (mimxrt1060-evkb). I want to run demo app. I see the documentation of tflm_cifar10 and it said that

```

Prepare the Demo
================
1. Connect a USB cable between the host PC and the OpenSDA USB port on the target board.
2. Open a serial terminal with the following settings:
- 115200 baud rate
- 8 data bits
- No parity
- One stop bit
- No flow control
3. Download the program to the target board.
4. Either press the reset button on your board or launch the debugger in your IDE to begin running the demo.
```
It does not mention about mode. What mode do I need to set? I dont remember, but it is SW7: OFF, OFF, ON, OFF (0010). Is that right?
0 Kudos
Alex_Wang
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi, @nnxxpp 

You can refer to the user manual, we can choose the appropriate way to start, as follows:

Alex_Wang_0-1714960701098.jpeg

You can refer to the attached file for details.

Hope this helps you.

Best regards, Alex

0 Kudos
nnxxpp
Contributor III

@Alex_Wang 

May be I saw tutorial for MIMXRT1060-EVK, this tutorial mentioned about SW7. It is used SW7 to set up boot mode. Getting Started with the MIMXRT1060-EVK | NXP Semiconductors 

Sure, thank you. For MIMXRT1060-EVKB, we need to use SW4.

nnxxpp
Contributor III

@Alex_Wang 

Thank you for detailed information.

0 Kudos
ErichStyger
Senior Contributor V

Yes, you can do this (but of course not using the NXP SDK, as it is for the target board/device).

You can use the host GNU gcc compiler/debugger (installed separately) and build and debug applications with the IDE, as with any other Eclipse distribution. The thing is that you are not doing cross-development, but native development instead.

For 'real embedded' development you would need a board or simulator, e.g. QUEMU (https://www.qemu.org/).

Alex_Wang
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi, @nnxxpp 

Currently, the MCUXpresso IDE does not support debugging without connecting to the board. You can Use "Use simulator" in Keil uVision5 to run the simulation, as follows:

Alex_Wang_0-1713347842446.jpeg

After setting, click the analog debugging button to debug.

Alex_Wang_1-1713347901554.jpeg

Best regards, Alex

nnxxpp
Contributor III

@Alex_Wang 

Thanks. Do you have any tutorial for running examples from SDK in Keil uvision as emulator?

As my understanding, firstly I need to download MCUXpresso SDK for Keil/MDK, then run in debug mode in Keil (emulator). Is that right?

0 Kudos
Alex_Wang
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi, @nnxxpp 

There is no tutorial on how to run the emulator in Keil uvision, you can follow these steps:

1. Download Keil uvision

2. Download SDK for Keil uvision version

3. Install the corresponding chip package

4. Then configure the emulator environment

5. Running

Hope this helps you.

Best regards, Alex

0 Kudos
nnxxpp
Contributor III

@Alex_Wang 

I followed your guide, But when debugging with simulator, I got an error related with "write" permission as the following.

*** WARNING: Using ARM Cortex-M4 Simulator. ARM Cortex-M7 specific features are not modelled !
Running with Code Size Limit: 32K
Load "ram_0x1400_release\\hello_world.out"
*** error 65: access violation at 0xFFFFFFF4 : no 'write' permission

I created .ini file to fix it Access violation at 0xFFFFFFF4 - Keil forum - Support forums - Arm Community, but it does not work.

Do you have any recommendation for me? Thanks.

0 Kudos
Alex_Wang
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi, @nnxxpp 

First, Check whether the chip pack is correctly installed in the device. It will be displayed in green after installation:

Alex_Wang_0-1715148100866.png

Second, Check whether the MDK project is decompressed correctly

There are no problems on my PC as follows:

Alex_Wang_1-1715148681925.png

Best regards, Alex

0 Kudos
nnxxpp
Contributor III

@Alex_Wang 

It seems that you also had an error with emulator. In the picture 2 error, , there is an with access violation. 

Screenshot_3.png

I set up for board MIMXRT1060-EVKB with mounted device MIMXRT1062DVL6B. I installed BSP and NXP.MIMXRT1062_DFP.18.0.0.pack. I run with Hello world project, but simulator did not work. Here is my set up.

Screenshot_2.png

Screenshot_4.png

Screenshot_5.png

I also had error 65, but with "write" permission in Simulator mode.

0 Kudos
nnxxpp
Contributor III

@Alex_Wang 

I also tested iled_blinky with simulator. There was an error with read permissions "*** error 65: access violation at 0x400B8008 : no 'read' permission". It is same your error.

Screenshot_6.png

0 Kudos
Alex_Wang
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi, @nnxxpp 

You can refer to the following methods:

1. Create an.ini file with the following contents:

Alex_Wang_0-1715225126787.png

You can include the wrong address. You can include the error address, on my PC error address 0x40000000-0x401FFFFF.

2. Load the ini file to the initialization file:

Alex_Wang_1-1715225345126.png

Hope this helps you.

Best regards, Alex

0 Kudos
nnxxpp
Contributor III

@Alex_Wang 

I tried it and informed you yesterday as follow

```

@Alex_Wang 

I followed your guide, But when debugging with simulator, I got an error related with "write" permission as the following.

*** WARNING: Using ARM Cortex-M4 Simulator. ARM Cortex-M7 specific features are not modelled !
Running with Code Size Limit: 32K
Load "ram_0x1400_release\\hello_world.out"
*** error 65: access violation at 0xFFFFFFF4 : no 'write' permission

I created .ini file to fix it Access violation at 0xFFFFFFF4 - Keil forum - Support forums - Arm Community, but it does not work.

Do you have any recommendation for me? Thanks.

```

Createing .ini file did not solve the problem. Did you test it?

0 Kudos
Alex_Wang
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi, @nnxxpp 

Yes, I have tested it, and there is no problem.

This is the state when I didn't load the ini file:

Alex_Wang_0-1715230970102.png

This is the state when I load the ini file:

Alex_Wang_1-1715231065315.png

Best regards, Alex

0 Kudos
nnxxpp
Contributor III

@Alex_Wang 

Thank you for keeping communication. Here my set detailed set up.

1. Download and install MDK-ARM from Keil Product Downloads

2. Target board is MIMXRT1060-EVKB. I follow user manual for this board from NXP, it said that:  

Download the MIMXRT1061 and MIMXRT1062 packs.
- After downloading the DFP, double click to install it.

So that I downloaded Arm Keil | NXP MIMXRT1061_DFP Arm Keil | NXP MIMXRT1062_DFP and also Arm Keil | NXP MIMXRT1060-EVKB_BSP 

I installed it by using Pack Installer

Screenshot_7.png

3. I checked packages

Screenshot_8.png

4. I import "hello_world" project from Pack Installer for the target board

Screenshot_9.png

5. I can build it 

Screenshot_10.png

6. I change mode to simulator and include .ini file (you can see in the zip file)

Screenshot_11.png

7. Debug and run, but there was an error

Screenshot_12.pngScreenshot_13.pngScreenshot_14.png

I also checked my target

Screenshot_15.png

I think that all things is ok. I use Keil uvision with free license (non-commercial use, code size limit: 32k).

I see that you run iled_blink example, does hello_world example work?

I also tried to import hello_world project from SDK (I downloaded from SDK buider, but it does not work in Keil because of file paths).

Please help me. Thank you so much.

0 Kudos