cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SPI SS required ?

Jump to solution
AlbertStraub
Contributor II

We are using the LPC55S28 as an SPI Slave.  It is the only device on the bus.  During development we realized we needed another GPIO between devices.  I attempted to change the SS to an input GPIO and was successful.  Unfortunately, the SPI part stopped working when the GPIO was pulled high.  Looking at Figure 119 and referring to paragraph 35.7.5 Slave Select of UM11126 Rev 2.1, it looks like the SS lines connect to the SPI state machine and are used to hold it into a known state.

The text says: "In slave mode, any asserted SSEL that is connected to a pin will activate the SPI.  Does that mean that if there is no SSEL asserted that the SPI will become inactive?

If I were to design it I would have the SSEL reset the state machine since it is the beginning of a transfer sequence.  That being said, is that how the internals are designed?  If so, I will need to find another route to obtaining a set of I/O lines as this idea won't work.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
frank_m
Senior Contributor III

> The text says: "In slave mode, any asserted SSEL that is connected to a pin will activate the SPI.  Does that mean that if there is no SSEL asserted that the SPI will become inactive?

Exactly - this is the very intention behind the slave select signal.

The SS signal is only useful/required for multiple slave devices on one SPI master. If your connection involves only one master and one slave, you can disregard SS entirely, i.e. not use it in your configuration.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
frank_m
Senior Contributor III

> The text says: "In slave mode, any asserted SSEL that is connected to a pin will activate the SPI.  Does that mean that if there is no SSEL asserted that the SPI will become inactive?

Exactly - this is the very intention behind the slave select signal.

The SS signal is only useful/required for multiple slave devices on one SPI master. If your connection involves only one master and one slave, you can disregard SS entirely, i.e. not use it in your configuration.

xiangjun_rong
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi, Albert,

As the following Fig I copied from UM11126.pdf(for LPC552x), the FC0 has FC0_CTS_SDAX_SSEL0 and FC0_RTS_SCLX_SSEL1 pin, you have to set the FUNC bits in IOCON of P0_31 and P1_0 as 1, in this way, the FC0_CTS_SDAX_SSEL0 and FC0_RTS_SCLX_SSEL1 pin will function as slave chip select function: SPI0_SSEL0 and SPI0_SSEL1.

if you configure the FC0 as SPI. If the SPI0 is configured as slave mode, assume that the asserted logic of SPI0_SSELx is low, this is the pin state that the SPI0 functions as slave:

SPI0_SSEL0      SPI0_SSEL1      function

0                          0                     the SPI will function as salve, the SSEL0/SSEL1 state saved in FIFORD

0                          1                    the SPI will function as salve, the SSEL0/SSEL1 state saved in FIFORD

1                          0                    the SPI will function as salve, the SSEL0/SSEL1 state saved in  FIFORD

1                           1                     the SPI will  NOT function

If you want to both of GPIO and SPI slave work simultaneously, I suggest you choose another GPIO pin as GPIO function.

Hope it can help you

xiangjun_rong_1-1630633659075.png

xiangjun_rong_2-1630635234335.png