No BitIO in Processor Expert for FRDM platforms

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No BitIO in Processor Expert for FRDM platforms

jeffreyrockel
Contributor I

First of all, I am a hardware guy and am still getting up to speed in the world of Eclipse IDE. I have experience, but with products from 5+ years back. I have watched several Youtube tutorials, following them step by step. And, I have confirmed my steps below on two separate computer systems.

I have done a clean install of KDS 3.0.0 and KSDK 1.2.0. Here are my steps in KDS:

1) Start KDS and select workspace.

2) File | New  | Kinetis Project | Next

3) Type Project name. Use default location.

4) Under Devices: Boards>Kinetis>FRDM-K64F | Next

(I have also tried with other FRDM boards)

5) Kinetis SDK = KDSK1.2.0; Absolute path = C:\Freescale\KSDK_1.2.0 (where I installed it); Processor Expert = Use current perspective; Project Mode = Standalone | Next

6) GNU C Compiler | Finish

The project is created with initial source and the following components:

clockMan1:fsl_clock_manager

pin_init:PinSettings

intMan1:fsl_interrupt_manager

I select the "Components Library" tab. In the "Alphabetical" tab, the drop-downs are set to "All repositories" and "Applicable to project".

The Components listed in the table for selection are:

BasicProperties

ExternalFile

FreeMaster

fsl_adc16

fsl_adc16_hal

fsl_clock_manager

fsl_cmp

Init_ADC

Init_AIPS0

OS_Task

PinSettings

StringList

TwoKeys

In order to see "BitIO", "PWM", "Serial_LDD", and other components, I must change the "Applicable to project" drop-down to "All". However, when I do so, and select one of the components and use "Component Inspector", I receive the error "The component is not supported for the selected processor" next to the "Component name". The processor shown in the Components list is "Cpu:MK64FN1M0VLL12".

I have tried numerous combinations of FRDM platforms with identical results. I have selected a processor, but then all reference to the FRDM target platform I/O assignments is lost.

I'm sure I am missing something fundamental. Help! and Thanks!

Jeff R

Labels (1)
4 Replies

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Jeff,

if you select/enable the Kinetis SDK, then only components like fsl_* can be applied/used. The high level components like BitIO or Logical Device Drivers (*_LDD) only can be used with non-SDK projects. The reason is because the Kinetis SDK is using a different API.

If you want to use the BitIO component, then do *not* select a Kinetis SDK project.

If you use a Kinetis SDK project, use the fsl_gpio component.

I hope this helps,

Erich

jrockel
Contributor I

Erich,

Thank you very much. I will investigate that but am still confused. I had this problem with KDS 2.0 as well, yet the tutorials (FRDM K64F - tutorial on YouTube  and the seminar I was at put on by Arrow Electronics) all specify selecting the KSDK. Can you suggest a tutorial that explains LDD's and this distinction?

Jeff

0 Kudos

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Jeff,

some of these aspects get discussed here: Tutorial: DIY Kinetis SDK Project with Eclipse – Board Configuration | MCU on Eclipse

If you are interested about the differences between High Level components and LDD components, then this one might be helpful:

There is a Time and Date for both Worlds | MCU on Eclipse

The fundamental difference between High Level Componens + LDD vs. SDK (fsl_*) components is: previously with the LDD and high level components, Processor Expert is generating the complete drivers (source files, header files, configuration files).

With the fsl_ sdk components, Processor Expert only configures the SDK drivers (with a few source files/header files), but does not generate the driver code itself. The driver code itself is the one from the SDK, and static and not generated.

I hope this helps,

Erich

jrockel
Contributor I

Erich,

I do appreciate you taking the time to point me to these articles. I clearly have some studying ahead of me but I am the type who needs to know what is happening under the hood. I'm sure much of what I encounter is obvious to those who have grown their skills over the years as these methods are developed. What is still troubling is that the tutorial I watched was only 2 months old and clearly shows creating an KSDK project with the BitIO present.

Thank you again and thanks to all who helped.

Regards, Jeff

0 Kudos