Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

freemaster & S32K144 & S32DS-V-3.4 : No rule to make target

Jump to solution
Dinesh_Guleria
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Freemaster Forum expert,

I am trying to include the freemaster SDK 2.0.0. After including this SDK i am getting following error.

make: *** No rule to make target 'FreeMaster_S32K144/src_platforms/S32xx/freemaster_S32xx.o', needed by 'LED.elf'. Stop.
"make -j8 all" terminated with exit code 2. Build might be incomplete.

Please suggest how to resolve this error ?

Regards,

Dinesh

0 Kudos
1 Solution
iulian_stan
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Unfortunately you cannot simultaneously use S32DS Debugger and FreeMASTER BDM plugin. You won't be able to:

• establish a connection from FreeMASTER if S32DS Debug session is ongoing
  • start debugging in S32DS if FreeMASTER is connected to the board

or it may break the debug session/connection.

If you want to use minimum connections / external devices the best option would be to use the FreeMASTER UART communication & onboard OpenSDA interface for S32DS Debugging. In this case there won't be any conflicts and you would need only one USB cable.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
iulian_stan
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi @Dinesh_Guleria,

Usually this issue is caused by some missing files required during compilation (may be caused by relative path or how those files were included into the project).

Are you including FreeMASTER SDK manually or using S32DS feature to attach the SDK ? Note that when you attach it - S32DS does not copy the files into your project by creates a symbolic link. 

Could you check whether S32DS is able to locate correctly includes folders and links to source code files.

Capture.PNG

0 Kudos
Dinesh_Guleria
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Iulian,

Thanks for your reply & strong support.

After installing freemaster tool from this website, then using S32DS feature I attached the freemaster SDK , what i found this error is resolved:---
https://www.nxp.com/design/software/development-software/freemaster-run-time-debugging-tool:FREEMAST...

Actually i did not instatted this software previously & was using S32DS feature to attach the freemaster SDK. May be this was causing this error ?

Some question from my side :--

1. I can configure freemaster to be used along with PE multi Universal FX & OpenSDA Embedded debug, right ?
  2. I can configure freemaster to be used along with any CAN or UART channel, right ? For this we have to configure base address in file freemaster_cfg.h, right ? :--
    #define FMSTR_SCI_BASE 0x4006B000UL /* LPUART2 base on S32K14x */
    #define FMSTR_CAN_BASE 0x40024000UL /* FlexCAN0 base on S32K14x */
  3. If suppose i wil be using CAN or UART to communicate with with freemaster tool, then I will have to initialize the drivers of CAN/UART at my end ? Means Freemaster need CAN/UART driver to be initialized by application code right ? like this way :---
    /* Initialize LPUART instance */
    LPUART_DRV_Init(INST_LPUART1, &lpuart1_State, &lpuart1_InitConfig0);
    INT_SYS_InstallHandler(LPUART1_RxTx_IRQn, FMSTR_Isr, NULL);
    /* Initialize FreeMASTER driver */
    FMSTR_Init();
  4. In freemaster can i monitor only global variables, or i can also see the MCU PORT or a particular bit of PORT ? If answer to this question is YES then how can i monitor, MCU PORT or a particular bit of PORT in freemaster ?

Please suggest on this point from my side, then i can use this tool more efficiently.

Thanks & Regards,
Dinesh

0 Kudos
iulian_stan
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

FreeMASTER SDK is also part of one of the S32DS S32k1xx Development packages and is installed in (C:\NXP\S32DS.3.4\S32DS\software). I guess you did not have it installed. Happy to hear that you were able to solve it.

Regarding your questions + some comments from my side:

1. Yes
BDM & PD-BDM plugins allows communication with FreeMASTER Tool via PE Debug probe. Note that there are 2 options to use this plugin, a more detailed answer here.

2. Yes

3. Yes, FreeMASTER does not configure any peripherals
* You need the interrupt only in FMSTR_LONG_INTR or FMSTR_SHORT_INTR modes. If you are using FMSTR_POLL_DRIVEN FMSTR_Isr will not be executed - your code won't be wrong, but just so you are aware.

4. Unfortunately - No
The only way is to define a variable and periodically update it with port value from your code.

The have a few webinars on FreeMASTER that may be helpful in case you did not see them.

0 Kudos
Dinesh_Guleria
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Iulian,

>>FMSTR_LONG_INTR or FMSTR_SHORT_INTR modes. If you are using FMSTR_POLL_DRIVEN

Please suggest. How & where to set this this mode in freemaster tool ?

Regards,

DInesh

0 Kudos
iulian_stan
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

The change is applied in the embedded code (the desktop tool will work seamlessly with either mode).

You can set it in freemaster_cfg.h:

/******************************************************************************
* Select interrupt or poll-driven serial communication
******************************************************************************/

#define FMSTR_LONG_INTR        0    /* Complete message processing in interrupt */
#define FMSTR_SHORT_INTR       1    /* SCI FIFO-queuing done in interrupt */
#define FMSTR_POLL_DRIVEN      0    /* No interrupt needed, polling only */

0 Kudos
Dinesh_Guleria
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Iulian,

One last question if i am debugging code using OPENSDA interface or PE Multilink universal on S32DS design studio.  In this case can i use freemaster to get data from Target MCU using same OPENSDA interface or PE Multilink universal debugger ?

Means to say simultaneous debugging on S32DS design studio & use freemaster to get data from Target MCU, using OPENSDA interface or PE Multilink universal, is it possible ?

Please suggest.

Regards,

Dinesh

0 Kudos
iulian_stan
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Unfortunately you cannot simultaneously use S32DS Debugger and FreeMASTER BDM plugin. You won't be able to:

• establish a connection from FreeMASTER if S32DS Debug session is ongoing
  • start debugging in S32DS if FreeMASTER is connected to the board

or it may break the debug session/connection.

If you want to use minimum connections / external devices the best option would be to use the FreeMASTER UART communication & onboard OpenSDA interface for S32DS Debugging. In this case there won't be any conflicts and you would need only one USB cable.

0 Kudos
Dinesh_Guleria
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Iulian,

Regards,

Dinesh

0 Kudos