Unable to use Codewarrior debugging for BL2 (button grayed out)

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to use Codewarrior debugging for BL2 (button grayed out)

Jump to solution
james_browning
Contributor III

Hello,

I am using an LS1046ardb board, and I'm attempting to use Codewarrior to debug my BL2 image. I'm booting from qspi flash, and I would like to attach to the running program.

I've been following this guide for U-Boot: https://community.nxp.com/t5/CodeWarrior-for-QorIQ-Knowledge/Use-CodeWarrior-for-ARMv8-to-Debug-U-bo...

The issue is when I setup the debug configuration profile I get an error message and the "debug" button is grayed out:

codewarrior-bl2.PNG

codewarrior-err.PNG

As you can see, I'm trying to use the "GDB hardware debugging" configuration with my bl2.elf symbol image, but cannot select the debug button.

My TAP works correctly, I am able to inspect the running system and read/write the flash, so I don't understand why this doesn't work.

Please find my codewarrior version below:
codewarrior-version.PNG

Thank you for your help!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
james_browning
Contributor III

I have found the solution. The problem is I had the target connection activated under the "Target connections" tab. The solution was to go to the "Target Connections" tab, then select the active connection, then press "Deactivate", then import the bl2.elf using the steps provided by @yipingwang. The target connection will be specified in the debug configuration under the "Debugger" tab, and will automatically connect when the debug configuration is run. So there is no need to use the "Target Connections" window and there should be no active connection.  

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
james_browning
Contributor III

I have found the solution. The problem is I had the target connection activated under the "Target connections" tab. The solution was to go to the "Target Connections" tab, then select the active connection, then press "Deactivate", then import the bl2.elf using the steps provided by @yipingwang. The target connection will be specified in the debug configuration under the "Debugger" tab, and will automatically connect when the debug configuration is run. So there is no need to use the "Target Connections" window and there should be no active connection.  

0 Kudos
james_browning
Contributor III

@yipingwang 
Thank you for the document. Unfortunately I am facing the same error and the button is still greyed out:

debug-err.PNG

0 Kudos
yipingwang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Please open CodeWarrior IDE in a new workspace, then import bl2.elf to create a bare board project. Then click Run->Debug Configurations, the debug button should be active.

If your problem persists, please try to install CodeWarrior for ARMv8 on another PC to do verification.

0 Kudos
yipingwang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

For atf debugging, please refer to my latest step by step document.

https://community.nxp.com/t5/Layerscape-Knowledge-Base/Debugging-ATF-and-u-boot-with-CodeWarrior-for...

0 Kudos
james_browning
Contributor III
@yipingwang 
Thank you for the document. Unfortunately I am facing the same error message and the button is still greyed out
0 Kudos