Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to set up the BCA of the KL03?

Jump to solution
laszlomonda
Contributor V

Hi guys,

I'd like to set up the BCA of the KL03. According to my knowledge, it should reside in the startup_MKL03Z4.S file but I don't know which part of the file should be edited. An example would also be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

- Laci

0 Kudos
1 Solution
laszlomonda
Contributor V

In the meantime, I've downgraded to KDS and I can confirm that the lack of the "used" attribute was the culprit. The following works:

__attribute__((used, section(".BootloaderConfig"))) const bootloader_config_t BootloaderConfig = {
    .tag = 0x6766636B, // Magic Number
    .enabledPeripherals = 0xE2, // Enabled Peripheral: I2C
    .i2cSlaveAddress = 0x10, // Use user-defined I2C address
    .peripheralDetectionTimeoutMs = 3000, // Use user-defined timeout (ms)
    .clockFlags = 0xFF, // Disable High speed mode
    .clockDivider = 0xFF, // Use clock divider (0)
};

Without the "used" attribute, GCC removes the variable both for release and debug builds.

Cheers!

- Laci

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Robin_Shen
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi

Please refer the "5.8 Integrate config file to user project" of Kinetis Flash Tool User's Guide.

5.8 Integrate config file to user project.png

Best Regards,

Robin

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos
laszlomonda
Contributor V

Thanks Robin! I was aware of the Kinetis Flash tool, but I didn't know it can generate the BCA. In the meantime, I generated the BCA C file and adapted it to the KL03, and still, it doesn't work.

Please take a look at my BootloaderConfig variable and linker script.

The bootloader always times out after the default 5 seconds instead of the specified 1 second. It's like the bootloader ignores the BCA. Do you have any ideas why?

Thank you very much in advance!

- Laci

0 Kudos
Robin_Shen
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Sorry for the late reply!

Please check the srec(bin) file: if the BCA data is write into the srec file.

I test the led_output demo with KDS(C:\test\SDK_2.2_FRDM-KL03Z\boards\frdmkl03z\driver_examples\gpio\led_output\kds\...)

The LED will toggle after timeout(1000ms), Update the bin(srec)file by using KinetisFlashTool.

Timeout1000ms.png

BCA to srec.png

Update bin.png

Best Regards,

Robin

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

laszlomonda
Contributor V

Thank you for the further help, Robin!

I checked the .bin file with KinetisFlashTool and it shows all zeros. I also checked the .srec file and it doesn't contain the 3c0 section further confirming that the BCA flash region is not mapped.

I really don't know what am I missing. According to the MKL03Z32xxx4_flash.ld and main.c files that I referenced above I think it should work, but it doesn't.

Please let me know if you have any further ideas.

Thank you for all your help!

- Laci

0 Kudos
Robin_Shen
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Laci,

After add BootloaderConfig section in the startup_MKL03Z4.S file, you can see it in srec file.

startup_MKL03Z4.png

Best Regards,

Robin

0 Kudos
laszlomonda
Contributor V

Thank you for your further help, Robin!

In the meantime, I've upgraded from KDS to MCUXpresso which uses startup_mkl03z4.c instead of startup_MKL03Z4.S so unfortunately your last suggestion is not relevant anymore.

I believe I should use the "used" GCC attribute because without it, GCC probably throws away the unreferenced bootloader configuration structure, but right now I cannot test it due to a linker script issue that I've just opened. I'd really appreciate if you could take a look at it. This issue blocks me until it's resolved.

Thank you!

- Laci

0 Kudos
laszlomonda
Contributor V

In the meantime, I've downgraded to KDS and I can confirm that the lack of the "used" attribute was the culprit. The following works:

__attribute__((used, section(".BootloaderConfig"))) const bootloader_config_t BootloaderConfig = {
    .tag = 0x6766636B, // Magic Number
    .enabledPeripherals = 0xE2, // Enabled Peripheral: I2C
    .i2cSlaveAddress = 0x10, // Use user-defined I2C address
    .peripheralDetectionTimeoutMs = 3000, // Use user-defined timeout (ms)
    .clockFlags = 0xFF, // Disable High speed mode
    .clockDivider = 0xFF, // Use clock divider (0)
};

Without the "used" attribute, GCC removes the variable both for release and debug builds.

Cheers!

- Laci