The usage of SAI on i.MX6UL & i.MX7D/S for Hardware design

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No ratings

Of all the i.MX serials SoC, i.MX28/i.MX6UL/i.MX7D/S use Synchronous Audio Interface(SAI) to support audio applications. SAI supports I2S, AC97, TDM and code/DSP interfaces. The SAI interface consists of these signals:

SAI_MCLK         ------------  used to provide working clock for external audio device , such as audio codec.

SAI_RX_BCLK  ------------  bit clock for receiving channle.

SAI_RX_DATA   ------------  data of receiving channel.

SAI_RX_SYNC  ------------  Frame Synchronous signal of Left and right channel for receiving channel.

SAI_TX_BCLK  ------------  bit clock for transmitting channel.

SAI_TX_DATA   ------------  data of transmitting channel

SAI_TX_SYNC  ------------  Frame Synchronous signal of Left and right channel for transmitting channel.

According to above signals, SAI has 2 channels: receive and transmit, and these 2 channels have their own clock: bit clock and frame SYNC, so they can work independently, it means PLAY and CAPTURE can be operated simultaneously, that is to say, SAI works at Asynchronous mode this moment.

In the document, we will discuss several usages of SAI on hardware design when it works at I2S(SYNC) mode. we will take i.MX6UL as an example, and for i.MX7D/S, usages are similar.

1. IOMUX of SAI

From i.MX6UL reference manual, there are 3 SAI modules in i.MX6UL: SAI1 , SAI2 & SAI3, see page 2529 in IMX6ULRM.pdf. As common applications, we will use 2 interface of SAIs.

2. Hardware connections for I2S mode

Either CPU is Master or Codec is Master, hardware connections are same.

(1) Single audio codec

pastedImage_10.png

or

pastedImage_12.png

(2) Dual audio codec

pastedImage_14.png

(3) Audio codec + Bluetooth PCM

pastedImage_15.png

or

pastedImage_16.png

(4) Audio codec + Bluetooth PCM + 4G PCM

pastedImage_17.png

or

pastedImage_18.png

[Note]   Attachments are schematics of WM8958 and MAX98089, which are not released by NXP, just for users who are interested in i.MX audio applications reference. If you want to use WM98089 or WM8958, please contact their manufactures and confirm if schematics are correct, so don't use them directly for your solution.

NXP China

TIC i.MX team

Weidong Sun

Labels (3)
Attachments
Comments

Hello,

Your post was very helpful.

How would I connect eight MAX98357A?

Thanks,

Rogers

Version history