Routing PCIe traffic between RCs (PEX)

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Routing PCIe traffic between RCs (PEX)

brett_wilson
Contributor I

I've got a board with a T2080 processor on it and it is configured to use 3 PCIe ports, PEX1, PEX2, and PEX4.  Is it possible in HW (no additional SW required, except to configure registers) to route end point traffic between two endpoints that each are on a different PEX and the data does not and should not go into local memory of the T2080.  They would still need to support going into/out of local memory as well on an individual basis and this has been verified to work.

Our board vendor pointed to section 2.5.3.1 of the manual and said it is not possible based on what this section said but it's not entirely obvious what this passage is saying and that it does indeed imply that it is not possible.

2.5.3.1 Illegal Interaction Between Inbound ATMUs and LAWs
Since both local access windows and inbound ATMUs map transactions to a target
interface, it is essential that they not contradict one another.
For example, it is considered a programming error to have an inbound ATMU map a
transaction target to the local memory space if the resulting translated local address is
mapped to an external peripheral interface by a local access window. Such programming
errors may result in unpredictable system deadlocks.

So in our particular example.  One endpoint is on PEX2 and has a BAR address of 0xC030_0000 and the other endpoint is on PEX4 and has a BAR address of 0x8000_0000.  The memory map is as follows:

0x0000_0000 - 0x7FFF_FFFF   SDRAM (2GB)

0x8000_0000 - 0x9FFF_FFFF   PEX4 Memory (512MB)

0xA000_0000 - 0xBFFF_FFFF   PEX1 Memory (512MB)

0xC000_0000 - 0xCFFF_FFFF   PEX2 Memory (256MB)

.... which also includes PCI I/O space of 8MB for each PEX but I'm not concerned about those.

If it's possible what do I need to do to enable that transaction between PEX4 and PEX2?  Is there example code?  I'm running VxWorks 6 but if there is even Linux example code that would be helpful.  I've already verified that traffic flows between the T2080 and each end point on each PEX in both directions, just not between PEXs

Thank you,

Brett Wilson

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

ufedor
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

> Is it possible in HW (no additional SW required, except to configure registers) to route

> end point traffic between two endpoints that each are on a different PEX and the data

> does not and should not go into local memory of the T2080.

Such data transfers are not supported.

0 Kudos

brett_wilson
Contributor I

This sounds like an errata in the processor, even the block diagram on page 90 (Section 1.3.1, Figure 1-1) of the manual shows a switch between the PCI and SRIO ports.  Looking further in the manual I noticed on page 2352 (Section B.3.20) that it seems like it was supported in Rev 0 but taken out in Rev 1.  Here is the text I found:

"Removed notes regarding OCN targets and all OCN targets from the
supported TRGT values. Bridging is not supported on this SoC."

Do you know what solution NXP is providing to its customers on how to resolve this?  Maybe a new rev of the silicon or a workaround in software.  We have an older board with a PowerQUICC III 8572e processor on it and it does it just fine, you would think the new processors could do it.

0 Kudos