cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kinetis SDK Code Portability

umlengineer
Contributor I

HI,

I have coded up a KL03 and I have run out of GPIOs so I am going to move to another microcontroller.  I would like to move within the Kinetis family and I am currently looking at the KL13.  I chose this one because it has similar size, if you choose the BGA, more GPIOs and similar deep sleep power performance.  I have coded up the KL03 using the SDK in KDS and I am wondering how portable that code is from one micro in the kinetis SDK to another.  I understand that without seeing my code its a little hard to guess, but I was wondering if someone could offer some guidance on the subject.  My hope is that I just have to download a version of the SDK for the KL13, change the pinmux.c file and any defines that point to hardware and be pretty close to a functional code base. 

Hopefully that is clear.

Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Evan Griffith,

Thank you for your interest in NXP kinetis product, I would like to provide service for you.

You can download the KL13 SDK code from this link:

https://mcuxpresso.nxp.com/en/select 

pastedImage_2.png

It is based on the KL43 board, then you just need to modify the according files, which can be found in folder:SDK_2.5.0_MKL13Z64xxx4\devices\MKL13Z644

Wish it helps you!

If you still have question about it, please kindly let me know.

Have a great day,
Kerry

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

umlengineer
Contributor I

Hi,

Thanks for the info, I have done that in the past to get SDKs and it has worked well.  I am really interested in how migratable code is from one microcontroller in the Kinetis SDK family to another. 

Thanks for your reply.

0 Kudos

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Evan,

Could you tell me what the IDE you want to use now? MCUxpresso IDE or others?

Then I will tell you how to migrate, and the detail point.

Waiting for your reply!
Have a great day,
Kerry

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos

umlengineer
Contributor I

Hi,

Currently it is coded in KDS AKA Kinetis Design Studio, but I will be migrating to MCUExpresso.  Depending on the process I will migrate the MCUExpresso and to the new MCU at the same time or I will do it at the same time. 

Thanks for all your help on this!

0 Kudos

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Evan Griffh,

I suggest you use the MCUXpresso IDE instead of the KDS.

Then you can open the SDK for KL43, and modify the according KL43 source code to KL13.

pastedImage_1.png

1. startup file change to KL13, you can find it from folder:

SDK_2.5.0_MKL13Z64xxx4\devices\MKL13Z644\mcuxpresso

2. Change the project device folder files, which can be found in folder :

DK_2.5.0_MKL13Z64xxx4\devices\MKL13Z644

pastedImage_2.png

3. Change the drivers folder with :SDK_2.5.0_MKL13Z64xxx4\devices\MKL13Z644\drivers

4. Change the MCU to your KL13 chip:

pastedImage_3.png

Please try it on your side.

If you still have problems about it, please kindly let me know.

Have a great day,
Kerry

0 Kudos