cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i.MX6UL peripheral DMA of SDMA for EIM.

satoshishimoda
Senior Contributor I

Hi community,

Our customer have some questions about i.MX6UL SDMA and EIM.

Please see the questions as below.

[Q1]

Please see chapter 43.4.3.2 in IMX6ULRM (Rev.1).

It says that peripheral DMA unit does not support burst transfer.

And according to https://community.nxp.com/message/546378, peripheral DMA can be used for EIM.

Then, if our customer use this peripheral DMA for transfer to EIM memory region, the EIM bus access will be single access even though EIM is synchronous mode?

[Q2]

How can we use peripheral DMA from ARM to EIM or vice versa?

With i.MX6DQ, SDMA script written in Appendix A of MCIMX6DQRM can be used for SDMA transfer.

However, there is no the appendix in MCIMX6ULRM Rev.1.

Should we refer the code in chapter 43.7.2.3.1 of MCIMX6ULRM instead of SDMA script?

Or SDMA script can be used for i.MX6UL also?

Best Regards,

Satoshi Shimoda

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

art
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

First of all, I'm sorry for so delayed reply, I needed some time to collect all information available.

Q1. If our customer use this peripheral DMA for transfer to EIM memory region, the EIM bus access will be single access even though EIM is synchronous mode?

A1. Yes, this is correct.

Q2. Should we refer the code in chapter 43.7.2.3.1 of MCIMX6ULRM instead of SDMA script? Or SDMA script can be used for i.MX6UL also?

A2. The SDMA module of the i.MX6UL processor behaves the same way and contains the same set of ROM scripts than the other members of the i.MX6 processors family, this is just the description missing in the Reference Manual document.

Have a great day,
Artur

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

satoshishimoda
Senior Contributor I

Hi Artur,

Thank you for your reply.

> Q1

> A1. Yes, this is correct.

I found the following explanation what DMA is used for each data transfer in Table 43-51 of IMX6ULRM (Rev.1).

According to this table, peripheral DMA and burst DMA is used for EIM access.

In addition, I understood peripheral DMA is used for the transfer between ARM platform and SDMA, and burst DMA is used for between SDMA and EIM by reading sect. 43.7.2.3.1.

From these information, the access from EIM to a external memory will be NOT single access since the access between SDMA and EIM is burst access.

Is my understanding correct?

Best Regards,

Satoshi Shimoda

0 Kudos

satoshishimoda
Senior Contributor I

Hi community,

Would you give me any update to this question?

Actually, our customer have to provide a working sample to a end customer by Sep 1st, so please give us your reply ASAP.

Best Regards,

Satoshi Shimoda

0 Kudos

satoshishimoda
Senior Contributor I

Hi community,

Would you let me know your status?

Confirming to expert team?

Our customer have to provide their working sample today in JST (UTC +9), so please give us your status or reply ASAP.

Best Regards,

Satoshi Shimoda

0 Kudos