Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FFS for serial flash?

Jump to solution
pietrodicastri
Senior Contributor II

Good morning

I see the documentation for the file system attached to the MQX documentation, it seems the porting is possible only to

devices with address / data bus. Is there a possibility to port to serial SPI flash device  this driver???

Thank You

Pietro

Tags (2)
1 Solution
danielchen
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Pietro:

Yes, you can port MFS (MQX file system) to SPI flash. But we don't suggest our customers do this. MFS is not intended to be used on internal flash memory storage, due to wear leveling reasons. MFS updates the FAT tables very often, and the FAT table is stored always at the same location, thus, the flash memory wars out quickly. Eevery update to the FAT table would require to read the flash sector, modify the data in RAM, program the data from RAM to the internal flash sector. The maximum number of Program/Erase cycles of an internal flash sector is limited.

Regards

Daniel

View solution in original post

3 Replies
danielchen
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Pietro:

Yes, you can port MFS (MQX file system) to SPI flash. But we don't suggest our customers do this. MFS is not intended to be used on internal flash memory storage, due to wear leveling reasons. MFS updates the FAT tables very often, and the FAT table is stored always at the same location, thus, the flash memory wars out quickly. Eevery update to the FAT table would require to read the flash sector, modify the data in RAM, program the data from RAM to the internal flash sector. The maximum number of Program/Erase cycles of an internal flash sector is limited.

Regards

Daniel

pietrodicastri
Senior Contributor II

Hi Daniel

Thank You. Just as a final clarification. If I really want to do I need to dig in to the code by myself, or a guideline for SPI porting exists somewhere???

Thanks a lot

Pietro

0 Kudos
danielchen
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

HI Pietro:

unfortunately we do not have such a guideline.

Regards

Daniel

0 Kudos