Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FRDM-FXS-MULTI-B Demos with Freescale Sensor Fusion Toolbox

Jump to solution
Deejay
Contributor III

Hi there!

I've the FRDM-FXS-MULTI-B brd to try out some of the demos with the Freescale Sensor Fusion Toolbox. All installed, fired-up the board and able to establish the BT connection with the Sensor Fusion Toolbox. The sw auto-detected the sensor brd... see below. What is the next step?  Not able to successfully run any demo... the help page is not so helpful! Anyone could give me a hint as to where and how to start these demos.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Devan

33615_33615.pngpastedImage_0.png

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Deejay
Contributor III

Hi Mike,

I think I found the answer and succeeded along the way.

“Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out.”:smileywink:

Well I have to thank you for the pointers for guiding me towards the User's Guide. I didn't realize until I read through the pages 9-14 of the guide that I had to build the code and flash from either CW or KDS. I tried KDS v3.0.0 first but it fell apart badly since it was producing numerous warnings and an error. This may be of your interest.

pastedImage_1.png

So I tried CW v10.6 and it worked for me. One point to make... K64F brd uses UART3 by default and no need to change it to UART0 as the Table 2 (page 13) in the guide suggests. How I found out? I did change the UART3 to UART0 and didn't help so I had to go back to UART0... bang! All start to work fine afterwards and I was able to flash the files from the Sensor Fusion Toolbox.

I also have to make a point here about my misunderstanding from day one... I was under the impression that you could flash the files straight from the Sensor Fusion Toolbox without going through the process of building the project in CW, etc. Wish it could have been mentioned on the Sensor Fusion Toolbox "Help" page somewhere and that would have saved me a few days of struggle!!

Here are some screenshots from the sensor readings. Hope I can go ahead and dive further down into to this for the next few days to learn all the good stuff. Thanks again for all the help, Mike!  Have a good day!

Cheers!

Devan

Btw, I am an Aggie. (Class of 87)

"Gig em Aggies" :smileyhappy:

pastedImage_8.png

pastedImage_2.pngpastedImage_3.pngpastedImage_4.pngpastedImage_5.pngpastedImage_6.pngpastedImage_7.png

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
michaelestanley
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Devan,

I can't tell from the above which Freedom board you have paired with the MULTI-B, but I suspect your issue will relate to the UART configuration.  Several boards share a UART between the Bluetooth module and the OpenSDA connector (KL25Z is an example).  For these you need to ensure that the power jumper adjacent to the Bluetooth module is present when using Bluetooth.  If using a wired connection, you need to remove the jumper.  Other boards (example: K64F) have separate UARTS associated with Bluetooth and OpenSDA.  For these, you need to determine which communications method you intend to use (UART/USB via OpenSDA or Bluetooth).  Then you need to make sure that the Processor Expert component for the UART is set to use the corresponding UART instance, regenerate source using Processor Expert and rebuild.   Details are in the Sensor Fusion User's Guide.  Just search for "UART".

Another surprisingly common problem is simply having the wrong embedded code running on the board.  If in doubt, connect the board via the usb connector to your PC (remember to remove the Bluetooth power jumper)  and reflash it using the appropriate submenu entry under the FILE menu.

Regards,

Mike

0 Kudos
Deejay
Contributor III

Hi Mike,

Firstly, thanks for responding to my question promptly and really appreciate the response from the authority himself. :smileyhappy:

Yes I must admit that I wasn't very clear about the setup I have at my end. As a matter of fact, I am pairing with the FRDM-K64F and using BT option only as per the screen shot below.

pastedImage_1.png

This is what I am doing from the start.

a) I physically paired the boards together with both the jumpers (J7 & J22) installed on the Multi-B with the power switch off.

b) Used the SDA port (the left USB next to reset button) on the K64F to bring the board to Bootloader mode.

c) Flashed the file as shown above from the Sensor Fusion Toolbox.

d) Unplugged the USB cable and turned the power switch on for the Multi-B

e) My host pc detects the BT device (Radio12FE90) but I had to manually select the port (COM11) for the Sensor Fusion Toolbox as it doesn't auto-detect. Once done that it establishes the connection but no sign of any activities from any of the sensors from the Multi-B!

That's about it that I can go with this.

Hope this is clear enough to see where I am making the mistake(s).

I am not using the UART (USB) method so I reckon I really do not worry about the UART configuration thorugh PE and rebuilding the source code, etc.

Nevertheless, for my curiosity would you be kind enough to send me the link for the Sensor Fusion User's Guide? I kind of exhausted with the search for it.

Thank you so much once again for your help.

Wish you a great day!

Best regards,

Devan

PS: Btw, I also tried the demo for the Sensor Fusion for Android with the same Multi-B and have a few questions on that as well but that's for later!:smileyplain:

0 Kudos
michaelestanley
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Devan,

I think you are close.

Starting with the easy question: You'll find the user guide in the docs directory of your sensor fusion installation.  Look for filename: XSFLK_UG.pdf.

When you say you "physically paired the boards" you meant paired the K64F with your PC?  You shouldn't have been able to do anything if the power switch was off and there was no physical connection to the K64F via USB.  I usually keep the power switch in the on position for almost all steps, except when I want to force a power-on-reset on the board.

You do not want to be in bootloader mode for flashing the application.  Bootloader mode is used for switching out the OpenSDA implementation.  So just turn on the board, connect via USB, and flash.  Given that you've been messing with bootloader mode, you might want to double check that the bootloader is still installed properly.  I generally look in the Windows device manager to make sure I see the proper entries.  If it's not obvious when you check, send me a note and I'll capture a screen dump for you (can't do that right now, as I'm responding from home and don't have a K64F handy).

Mike

0 Kudos
Deejay
Contributor III

Hi Mike,

Thanks once again for your help.

Firstly, the Sensor Fusion USer's Guide is missing in the installation directory... see below.

pastedImage_4.png

However, I found the link for it by searching with the name you mentioned... not exactly but close. In fact, the file is called "XFSL_Prod_UG" and the link is here as well if anyone wants to find it.

http://www.freescale.com/files/sensors/doc/user_guide/XSFL_Prod_UG.pdf

Secondly, please accept my apology for being ambiguous with the phrase "physically pairing the boards". What I actually meant was stacking both the boards (Multi-B and K64F) together and nothing else.

Now that is clear, I still have the same question...do I have to keep the power switch on for the Multi-B brd when I flash the file to the K64F brd via USB?

Mind you, the K64F brd does not have a power switch on the board by its own and it has to be powered up via USB/SDA therefore the power for the K64F is always on when you connect via USB. So I am not really switching off the K64F's power at all.

Lastly, on the contrary to what you say regarding "shouldn't be in the bootloader" mode, the Sensor Fusion Toolbox implies otherwise that the K64F brd should appear to your PC as a removable drive. See the "dialog" box that appears when I attempt to flash.

pastedImage_5.png

So I dismiss the message and saving the file in the Kinetis drive (Bootloader:) as per the screen here. This is the only option I have when I dismiss the above message.

pastedImage_6.png

I must be completely wrong here and doing something very silly. Hopefully you could further clarify what is going on at my end. Thanks again.

Best regards,

Devan

0 Kudos
Deejay
Contributor III

Actually, this is the folder where I installed the Sensor Fusion Toolbox and no User's Guide nor the subfolder "DOCS".

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
Deejay
Contributor III

Also, forgot to attach the Device Manager screenshot to let you know that I have the right serial port connection... Std Serial over BT Link (COM11).

pastedImage_0.png

Also, I'm able to establish the wireless link with the Sensor Fusion Toolbox.

pastedImage_1.png

0 Kudos
Deejay
Contributor III

Hi Mike,

Sorry for the multiple posts on this subject. Also noticed that there isn't any .hex files for the K64F brd!

Thanks.

Devan

0 Kudos
Deejay
Contributor III

Hi Mike,

I think I found the answer and succeeded along the way.

“Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out.”:smileywink:

Well I have to thank you for the pointers for guiding me towards the User's Guide. I didn't realize until I read through the pages 9-14 of the guide that I had to build the code and flash from either CW or KDS. I tried KDS v3.0.0 first but it fell apart badly since it was producing numerous warnings and an error. This may be of your interest.

pastedImage_1.png

So I tried CW v10.6 and it worked for me. One point to make... K64F brd uses UART3 by default and no need to change it to UART0 as the Table 2 (page 13) in the guide suggests. How I found out? I did change the UART3 to UART0 and didn't help so I had to go back to UART0... bang! All start to work fine afterwards and I was able to flash the files from the Sensor Fusion Toolbox.

I also have to make a point here about my misunderstanding from day one... I was under the impression that you could flash the files straight from the Sensor Fusion Toolbox without going through the process of building the project in CW, etc. Wish it could have been mentioned on the Sensor Fusion Toolbox "Help" page somewhere and that would have saved me a few days of struggle!!

Here are some screenshots from the sensor readings. Hope I can go ahead and dive further down into to this for the next few days to learn all the good stuff. Thanks again for all the help, Mike!  Have a good day!

Cheers!

Devan

Btw, I am an Aggie. (Class of 87)

"Gig em Aggies" :smileyhappy:

pastedImage_8.png

pastedImage_2.pngpastedImage_3.pngpastedImage_4.pngpastedImage_5.pngpastedImage_6.pngpastedImage_7.png

0 Kudos