cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem halting iMX6 Chips (ARM Cortex-A9) at reset

Jump to solution
nathanpalmer
Contributor IV

Has anyone figured out how to halt the iMX6 (Cortex-A9) CPU just after or at reset?  My reset-init is taking too long to halt and I am ending up with a non-predictable system debug environment.  It loads the CPU boot ROM and is well into initializing my boot loader (U-Boot) before the halt takes affect.

In order to use OpenOCD I have to erase U-Boot from FLASH, and even then the ROM boot code is executed. 

I am hoping that some one here has a clue on making a more reliable iMX6 (actually an iMX6sl) debug environment.

Thanks!

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
leoschwab
Contributor III

Based on by disjointed readings on the subject, I think the semi-official method on the i.MX6 series is to force the device into serial bootloader mode (BOOT_MODE0 == 1, BOOT_MODE1 == 0), leaving the USB port unconnected.  When halt finally takes effect, the PC will be in the on-chip ROM waiting for a USB connection.  Change the PC to where you want and resume the CPU from there ('resume <address>').  At the very least, U-Boot won't have been loaded or run.

Please note that I have not had any actual success doing this myself, as I outlined here.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
leoschwab
Contributor III

Based on by disjointed readings on the subject, I think the semi-official method on the i.MX6 series is to force the device into serial bootloader mode (BOOT_MODE0 == 1, BOOT_MODE1 == 0), leaving the USB port unconnected.  When halt finally takes effect, the PC will be in the on-chip ROM waiting for a USB connection.  Change the PC to where you want and resume the CPU from there ('resume <address>').  At the very least, U-Boot won't have been loaded or run.

Please note that I have not had any actual success doing this myself, as I outlined here.

0 Kudos
nathanpalmer
Contributor IV

That sucks for boards that don't have jumpers for that (production boards).  Is there a plan or at least a technical approach to support reset halts in OpenOCD for the MX6?  Sorry to ask OpenOCD questions here, I just suspect that the audience would have run across this issue before and may be tracking it.

0 Kudos
Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

The only i.MX35 of i.MX series has special so called startup mode :

"Upon reset the PC register will remain at address 0x00000000.
This means no ROM code has run so far and the state of all internal
SOC registers are untouched." 

Perhaps, the fact, that it is impossible to stop the ARM core just
after reset relates to HAB technology - to avoid ROM code hacking.