cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MC9S08 GT60 CFB basic questions...

ehestigoni
Contributor III
Hi guys,

I've bought 2 boards from a vendor called DLP designs and they use freescale microcontrollers (MC9S08 GT60 CFB) and ZigBee transceivers (MC131193) on their boards.

As the boards don't do exactly what I want (sample the ADC @ 2000sps) I will need to write my own firmware on the microcontrollers.

Thus I have some questions:

1)  I would like to know wheter the datasheet for the MC9S08 GT60 CFB that I need is the same as the MC9S08 GT60 A. This was the only one I found so far...

2)  I have seen issues on this forum about problems using P&E multilink to program/gebug this microcontroller... I'm about to order a USB MULTILINK BDM and I would like to know if this is the right tool for programming debugging the MC9S08 GT60 CFB microcontroller.

3)  Still about this $99 kit:

(http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=USBMULTILINKBDM&fsrch=1)

It says it comes with Codewarrior and all the cables. However when I had a look at the "similar" product from P&E:

(http://www.pemicro.com/products/product_viewDetails.cfm?product_id=33&CFID=955606&CFTOKEN=10483320)

there is something about patches and stuff for making the multilink to work with Codewarrior... So, if I want to buy a programmer/debugger to work straight away with my MC9S08 GT60 CFB, I need the freescale original one, right? and just to make sure, when I buy this USB MULTILINK BDM (even from another distributor) does it come with the Codewarrior?

I think that's all so far...

Thanks in advance for your help,

Cheers,

Ed.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

Alban
Senior Contributor II
Hello Ed,

I will try to answer all your questions...

1- I think there is a difference between the A and non-A version. It is likely to be about the oscillator, because that is what the A usually means in HC08 series.
Here is the datasheet link for the GT60A: MC9S08GB60A It is covering both.

2- Yes, this is the right tool. It will work well with all S08 devices.

3- The P&E tool is supported as standard in CodeWarrior since versions before 3.1 and we are now 6.0. You have the latest version available for download for free from FSL website. It is 300MB+ though.
I don't know if the USB MULTILINK comes with CW CDs, but if yes, it is likely to be an old version. CW 6.0 for MCU (covering HC08, S08 and CFV1) has been out since only the beginning of July. Therefore if your distributor stocks, he may have older CDs.
Anyway, you can download the latest version and latest patches for free from FSL website.

Basically, you always have a CodeWarrior version for free. It is called Special Edition.
You have access to most feature and is NOT limited in the time.
The limitation is in the Code size and number of C files you can include.

SUM UP:
- Any USB MULTILINK DOES work with CodeWarrior.
- Latest CodeWarrior and ALL patches available for FREE from Freescale website.

Cheers,
Alban.

0 Kudos

peg
Senior Contributor IV
Hi,

In addition to what Alban has said:

See EB652 for a summary of changes between GB60 and GB60A

If you just get the latest Codewarrior (now 6.0) it will have all the patches in it and will upgrade the firmware of the Multilink if required.

The Freescale USB Multilink IS the P&E Multilink!

No worries! Just fork out the US$99 and all will be sweet - promise.

0 Kudos