GT16 Migration to GT16A

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GT16 Migration to GT16A

SeanMaccartan
Contributor I
I am currently using a MC9S08GT16 device in an existing (mature) product. Freescale are currently migrating to the MC9S08GT16A device.

Will I be able to program the GT16A device with my existing GT16 firmware (hex) file or will I have to make changes too and recompile my source code for the GT16A?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

peg
Senior Contributor IV
Hi Sean Mac,

I am currently in the process of doing exactly this ( in parallel with two new GT16A products).

It is a fairly painless task, all the changes are inprovements and the price is cheaper.

Please feel free to ask on any specifics.

(Edit)
Actually to more directly answer your question:

Probably you just can't drop the old code in but the changes you have to make are probably minimal.

Message Edited by peg on 2007-07-30 09:10 PM

Some more reading:

http://forums.freescale.com/freescale/board/message?board.id=8BITCOMM&message.id=6712&query.id=2747#...

http://forums.freescale.com/freescale/board/message?board.id=8BITCOMM&message.id=3970

Also be aware that EB671 does not cover everything, i.e. the dropping of the unused parts of the I/O registers.

Message Edited by peg on 2007-07-30 09:19 PM
0 Kudos

SeanMaccartan
Contributor I
Thanks Peg.

The problem I have is that the product currently using the GT16 is "agency approved". Replacing the IC with a "newer" part is not to much of an issue. But, if I need to do firmware changes I then need to re-submit the product for approvals, and this equals $$$$$$$$!! Hence my desire to stick with the existing hex file.
0 Kudos

peg
Senior Contributor IV
Hi Sean Mac,

There is a good chance you will be able to do this.
Especially if you are not writing to flash from your application and have not enabled block protection.
Just go through EB671 and check your code in the listed areas, should not need much trawling to do this.
On the cutback registers thing, I think you can still write to these now unused bits without any consequences and it is highly unlikely you were reading from them. Just look at table 4.2 in the GTA manual and compare this with the GB60.
Most of the changes are either additions (which don't matter as you won't be using them).
The other changes are due to the fact that a GT16 is a cut-down GB60 whereas the GT16A is more designed from the start for 16k and a lower pin-count package.
There is twice the RAM now so if your testing it you might be in trouble although maybe you can ignore what you won't use.

0 Kudos

Alban
Senior Contributor II
Hello,

The document below is probably interesting for you:

EB671 
EB671: Migrating from MC9S08GT16 to MC9S08GT16A

Cheers,
Alban.
0 Kudos