Nate Wickstrom

Android Audio Codecs

Discussion created by Nate Wickstrom on Dec 18, 2011
Latest reply on Jul 4, 2012 by Prashant Dalmia

I'm trying to get audio working within Android. My board is based on the QSB but uses different Audio Hardware (the TLV320AIC23B from TI). Both Linux and Android source have been modified and the new driver loads with without incident in Linux and is recognized by Android. When I play .wav files in an Android App or play mp3s with mplayer, using libmad audio decoder, the sound is clean and clear; However when playing compressed audio in Android, which uses Freescale proprietary libraries to decode the data, the sound quality is poor. After examining the i2s signal on the SSC bus, I found that a lot of the audio frames contain no data, all low bits. This is happening in 2 or 3 millisecond chunks once every 10 milliseconds or so... Has anyone had similar problems using Freescale's codec libraries with different ALSA drivers? Or could anyone explain how to build Freescale Android without Freescale's proprietary audio codecs?

On the other hand, I've gotten Android and the Freescale codec libraries working with Maxim's Max9850 Audio DAC, and I'd be happy to give novice pointers on how to go about it.

Outcomes