cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

imxrt 1064 unable to connect WPA3 SAE AP

Jump to solution
bshannon
Contributor III

I am running the wifi webconfig example with SDK 2.12.1 using Murata's wifi chip, 1ZM. I have set the wifi security to WPA3 SAE. The access point shows up in windows but I am unable to connect to it. 

bshannon_0-1671464947752.png

bshannon_1-1671465031717.png

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
kef2
Senior Contributor IV

Not all Wi-Fi cards support connection to WPA3-SAE only AP. PC WLAN card specifications should state it clearly. If it doesn't support WPA3-SAE, either don't use it at all or configure your hostapd for WPA3-SAE transition mode, which should allow connecting WPA3 supporting cards in WPA3 mode, and not supporting cards in WPA2 mode.

On Windows launch from command prompt

• netsh wlan show drivers

It should include this for WPA3-SAE:

• WPA3-Personal CCMP

View solution in original post

7 Replies
kef2
Senior Contributor IV

Not all Wi-Fi cards support connection to WPA3-SAE only AP. PC WLAN card specifications should state it clearly. If it doesn't support WPA3-SAE, either don't use it at all or configure your hostapd for WPA3-SAE transition mode, which should allow connecting WPA3 supporting cards in WPA3 mode, and not supporting cards in WPA2 mode.

On Windows launch from command prompt

• netsh wlan show drivers

It should include this for WPA3-SAE:

• WPA3-Personal CCMP
bshannon
Contributor III

Thank you for your input. It looks like my work PC does not support WPA3. I was able to connect to the Access Point using WPA3 and WPA3/WPA2 Mixed security types using my personal Chromebook.

bshannon_0-1672169803599.png

0 Kudos
estephania_mart
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,

Could you please help me with more details on the configuration that you are using? Could you please also help me with the modifications made to the code?

Regards

0 Kudos
bshannon
Contributor III

Greetings,

Thanks for helping me with this issue.

In the wpl_nxp.c file, I changed the security type to use WLAN_SECURITY_WPA3_SAE in the WPL_Start_AP function if a password is provided. The goal that I am trying to achieve is to be able to set up an Access Point using WPA3 and WPA3/WPA2 Mixed security types and connect to it from my PC. I attached the project. Let me know if you need additional information.

0 Kudos
estephania_mart
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,

By any chance, do you have the same problem  when following?  the UM11442-NXP-Wi-Fi-and-Bluetooth-Demo-Applications-for-i.MX-RT-platforms-User-Guide on page 38? Could you please help me validate it ? You can find this document in the SDK package under the following  path ;

<installation path>\docs\wireless

Regards

0 Kudos
bshannon
Contributor III

I do have the same problem when I follow the user guide. I believe the issue is due to my work PC not supporting connecting to WPA3-SAE. My personal Chromebook does support connecting to WPA3-SAE and is able to connect to the AP. Shouldn't my PC be able to connect to the AP with the WPA3/WPA2 Mixed security type or should the Management Frame Protection Capable (MFPC) and Management Frame Protection Required (MFPR) be configured differently for the mixed security type?

0 Kudos
estephania_mart
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,

While the mixed mode is intended to ensure the compatibility , there are some clients that even though this setting is correctly set , it still does not recognize it form the client point of view. I would recommend you to validate in your computer to make sure that it supports the setting.

Regards

0 Kudos