Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RT1170 Evalboard copy to SDRAM and start

Jump to solution
pete2001
Contributor I

Hello,

we are evaluating the MIMXRT1170 EVK Board. The planned product should copy program and data from QSPI Flash into the extern SDRAM, and start from there. My questions:

a) Are there any KSDK examples, that demonstrates this? Can create the correct start headers and vectors at the begin of the QSPI flash, and the internal bootrom will copy a memory region to ext SDRAM and start there? Or supports the bootrom only XIP?

b) It looks like, that AN12238 ("i.MX RT Flashloader Use Case") for the RT1050 describes a similar scenario to copy the code into RAM and execute there.

I found the following: "NOTE: While RT does support booting to SDRAM using these steps, we recommend using XIP from serial NOR on the FlexSPI interface when possible. The FlexSPI controller is connected to a 64 bit internal bus, but the SEMC which is the SDRAM controller on RT uses a 32 bit bus. So XIP from FlexSPI will usually provide better performance than booting code to SDRAM."

When comparing QSPI Flash (4-bit, 133Mhz) on the RT1170 Evalboard  and the ext SDRAM (16-bit, 200Mhz) the SDRAM should be much faster. Am I correct?

Best Regards,

Peter

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,
Thanks for your reply.
a) what "below figure" do you mean in your reply?
-- Sorry, I forgot to attach the below figure.

jeremyzhou_0-1620352289393.png

b) Are there really no ready KSDK examples, that include the correct linker settings, and produce a binary, that the Boot-ROM copies into the EVK SDRAM and executes there? I hoped, that there would be at least an example.
-- No, it's impossible to generate a NON-XIP boot image via configuring the linker setting, and I'd like to refer to the thread to generate a suitable boot image.
Have a great day,
TIC

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
VineeshM
Contributor II

Hello, Do we have a solution for this thread? I mean - "copy program and data from QSPI Flash into the extern SDRAM, and start from there"

0 Kudos
pete2001
Contributor I

Hello,
b) Are there really no ready KSDK examples, that include the correct linker settings, and produce a binary, that the Boot-ROM copies into the EVK SDRAM and executes there? I hoped, that there would be at least an example.

Best Regards,
Peter

0 Kudos
jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,
Thanks for your reply.
-- Sorry, I forgot to attach the below figure.

jeremyzhou_0-1620352289393.png

-- No, it's impossible to generate a NON-XIP boot image via configuring the linker setting, and I'd like to refer to the thread to generate a suitable boot image.
Have a great day,
TIC

Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

0 Kudos
jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in NXP Semiconductor products and for the opportunity to serve you.
a) Are there any KSDK examples, that demonstrates this? Can create the correct start headers and vectors at the begin of the QSPI flash, and the internal bootrom will copy a memory region to ext SDRAM and start there? Or supports the bootrom only XIP?
-- According to your proposal, the NON-XIP boot mode is suited to your application and the below figure shows the workflow of the NON-XIP boot.
b) When comparing QSPI Flash (4-bit, 133Mhz) on the RT1170 Evalboard and the ext SDRAM (16-bit, 200Mhz) the SDRAM should be much faster. Am I correct?
-- Yes, you're right.

Have a great day,
TIC

Note:

0 Kudos