Dump code in External QSPI Flash and then after power-on copy code into internal RAM for execution

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dump code in External QSPI Flash and then after power-on copy code into internal RAM for execution

Jump to solution
venkat7
Contributor I

Hi,

I need help regarding copying code into RAM  from external flash, for faster execution.

1. I Want to load code into external QSPI NOR flash either through JTAG or SWD. After power-on copy code from QSPI flash to internal RAM(may be in ITCM, i guess)..... uP is i.MXRT1175.

2. Allocating variable Data into DTCM(i guess) while writing program .

Please suggest me what changes need to be done in an example code given by NXP. Please share share modifications.

Thanks in advance.

K.Venkatarao.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,
Thanks for your reply.
No matter of RT1050 or RT1070, the steps are the same, except for bd and DCD files are different.
And please find these files in the attachment.
Have a great day,
TIC

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,
Thank you for your interest in NXP Semiconductor products and for the opportunity to serve you.
Before sharing some advice, I'd like to know whether you want to relocate all code or some critical parts of code into the RAM.
Have a great day,
TIC

Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

0 Kudos
venkat7
Contributor I

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

I want to relocate total code.

1. Is ITCM (256KB) is the RAM location where we need to relocate code..?

2. How can i configure variable/Data to DTCM(256KB) RAM.?

3. What is purpose of OCRAM? Can we use it as variable/Data RAM.?

Thank you,

K.Venkatarao.

0 Kudos
jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi, 
Thanks for your reply.
1. Is ITCM (256KB) is the RAM location where we need to relocate code..?
-- Yes, you can relocate the code into the ITCM.
2. How can i configure variable/Data to DTCM(256KB) RAM.?
-- Regarding to your purpose, RT1175 boor from the external flash, then relocate whole code into the RAM, it's the typical non-XIP mode, as the figure shows, to make it, please refer to post to generate the bootable image.

jeremyzhou_0-1657186135049.png

3. What is purpose of OCRAM? Can we use it as variable/Data RAM.?
-- Yes.
Have a great day,
TIC

Note:

0 Kudos
venkat7
Contributor I

Hi,

-- Regarding to your purpose, RT1175 boor from the external flash, then relocate whole code into the RAM, it's the typical non-XIP mode, as the figure shows, to make it, please refer to post to generate the bootable image.

In your reply, i didn't get regarding "post", which post i need to refer.

Thank you,

K.Venkatarao.

0 Kudos
venkat7
Contributor I

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

But i found the below details are not available in the post.

1. The post is for evaluation kit of RT1050 device not for EVB 1170. Please modify it EVB1170. As i don't have EVBRT1050 to understand it and apply equal actions to EVB1170.

2. The post is not suited if external flash is QSPI, please update it w.r.t QSPI.

3. It mentioned "DCD.bin file: I found mine included in this document: https://community.nxp.com/docs/DOC-340655'.     I don't have DCD.bin file for i.MXRT1170 core.

4. There should be detailed an application note specially for i.MXRT1170 core regarding copy coed into RAM from external flash. Since this will boost user confidence and saves effort, time.

Thank you,

K.Venkatarao.

0 Kudos
jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,
Thanks for your reply.
No matter of RT1050 or RT1070, the steps are the same, except for bd and DCD files are different.
And please find these files in the attachment.
Have a great day,
TIC

Note:

0 Kudos