Is it possible to transfer high speed data via HSGPIO using eDMA?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to transfer high speed data via HSGPIO using eDMA?

Jump to solution
OMG
Contributor I

Hello everyone!

I am new in NXP products and while using MIMXRT1170-EVK I have the following problem:

I need to output data at a frequency of 150 MHz to an external device. As a data bus, I chose to use one of the two ports of the high-speed GPIO CM7_GPIOn.
Research showed that at the core frequency(996MHz), with maximum compiler optimization, with the port pins toggled in the cycle:
CM7_GPIO3->DR_TOGGLE = 0xFFFFFFFF;
I got a frequency of ~250 MHz.

When trying to use DMA, data transfer did not work - the channel bit is set in the ERR register, which means a transfer error. At the same time, with a regular GPIO3 everything worked out, but the transfer frequency is of course much lower than necessary.

Please tell me what I could have done wrong and is it even possible to implement what I have planned?

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
1 Solution
OMG
Contributor I

I got an update from NXP support on this issue - the answer was that DMA does not have access to HS GPIO, thanks to Pablo for the answer!
Since this option cannot be used here, I have the following questions:
- What are HS GPIOs for anyway and what are their possible use cases?
- Is there any way to transfer data in pure form over a parallel bus with a frequency of <=150MHz?

Thank you in advance

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
OMG
Contributor I

I got an update from NXP support on this issue - the answer was that DMA does not have access to HS GPIO, thanks to Pablo for the answer!
Since this option cannot be used here, I have the following questions:
- What are HS GPIOs for anyway and what are their possible use cases?
- Is there any way to transfer data in pure form over a parallel bus with a frequency of <=150MHz?

Thank you in advance

0 Kudos
Pablo_Ramos
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi @OMG,

As @nickwallis mention you can take a look to SEMC and FlexIO or FlexSPI

0 Kudos
nickwallis
Senior Contributor I

@OMG you might consider using the SEMC interface, I think for RT117x it can be clocked at up to 200MHz and can be 16-bits wide in SRAM mode.

0 Kudos
Pablo_Ramos
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi @OMG,

Thanks for reaching out. 

As we are discussing in your other support ticket, we still investigating this issue and I will get back at you as soon as possible in the ticket.

0 Kudos