Can I run XIP Octal HyperFlash and Octal HyperRAM on RT1062?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I run XIP Octal HyperFlash and Octal HyperRAM on RT1062?

Jump to solution
mark_callaghan
Contributor III

We have prototypes of our RT1062 design with octal hyperflash and octal hyperram (2 die in one package) and I am working on software. The two devices use FLEXSPI A and B data[3:0], and FLEXSPI_A_SS0_B, FLEXSPI_A_SS1_B, as in fig 27-3 of the RT1060 reference manual. We would like to boot & run XIP on the hyperflash, and ideally access the hyperram via AHB for general data storage/buffer.

I have code running XIP from the hyperflash, but don't quite have the hyperram running yet. IP write/read does not give the same data, and AHB accesses cause a hardfault / bus error.  I note these two posts

https://community.nxp.com/t5/i-MX-RT/Question-about-Using-HyperRam-and-HyperFlash/m-p/971681

https://community.nxp.com/t5/i-MX-RT/How-can-use-the-HyperRAM-and-Qual-SPI-Flash-in-i-MXRT1052/m-p/1...

and would like to get some confirmation that what I am trying to do is possible before I spend too much time trying to get it to work. I cannot find any information in the Reference Manual or Errata that suggests running XIP precludes the use of a second device on the FLEXSPI in octal mode, with AHB access.

Can anyone authoritatively confirm that operation of two octal hyperbus devices on the 1062 FLEXSPI is possible or not, with XIP for one device, and AHB access on the other? (If not possible, perhaps this should be noted in the Reference Manual or Errata?)

Cheers,

Mark

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
jay_heng
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

In principle, HyperFlash and HyperRAM could be connected to one FlexSPI instance if these two memories have the same electrical properties. but in this case, XIP performance may be bad as they share the same data port.

FlexSPI IP can handle this scenario: with XIP for one device, and AHB access on the other

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
berban
Contributor I
Hi Mark, , did you manage to get this hardware configuration working and is it working properly ? (I mean HyperFlash XIP and HyperRAM with AHB on the same FlexSPI) ?
0 Kudos
mark_callaghan
Contributor III

Hi berban,

No, I gave up. I played with the flexspi LUT command sequences, and got the hyperflash to program. But I didn't get as far as running code.

Cheers,

Mark

0 Kudos
mark_callaghan
Contributor III

Thank you. I will persist with my exploration of FLEXSPI config. We expect to use the second device (RAM) rarely, and can place time critical code in ITC.

0 Kudos
jay_heng
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

In principle, HyperFlash and HyperRAM could be connected to one FlexSPI instance if these two memories have the same electrical properties. but in this case, XIP performance may be bad as they share the same data port.

FlexSPI IP can handle this scenario: with XIP for one device, and AHB access on the other

0 Kudos