cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assigning a Peripheral to Core using RDC

Newton829
Contributor II

Hello All,

I am new to I.MXRT and trying to understand the working of RDC(Resource Domain Controller). 

1. How to assign a peripheral to one Core? Please guide me with basic steps

2. What is table 42-2 of I.MXRT1176 is trying to convey and how to use these values?

Albert_Einstein_0-1702012032612.png

3.What is the table 42-3 is conveying and how to use those values?

Albert_Einstein_1-1702012081011.png

4. I see RDC can restrict access to some memory, We can achieve the same thing using MPU then what problem is RDC trying to solve?

Thank you,

Regards

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

Gavin_Jia
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @Newton829 ,

Hope you are doing well!

1. There is a useful guide of Config Tool for your reference. Please have a look at the chapter 5.2 RDC-enabled devices : User Guide for Config Tools for i.MX (nxp.com.cn)

2. 42-2 is the Master allocation mapping table. Each row in the table represents a master device, and the second column represents the register that determines the domain id to which it belongs. Some of the master in the table have domain numbers that are not determined by the RDC_MDA register, but by other modules or registers. For example, the domain number of CAAM is determined by the JRaDID_MS[PRIM_ICID] register of the CAAM module.

3. Each peripheral is managed in the RDC by two registers. One is the resource domain assignment register RDC_PDAPn with a corresponding resource domain, and the other is the semaphore locking register RDC_SEMAPHOREx_GATEn in the RDC_SEMA42 module. Together, they control the accessibility of the domain for that peripheral.

4. RDC is a hardware mechanism used to manage the access rights to the system resources, which can assign different master devices (such as processor cores, DMA controllers, peripherals, etc.) to different domains, thus realizing the isolation and protection of resources. However, MPU is only used to manage memory access rights to achieve isolation and protection of memory. RDC and MPU are hardware mechanisms to solve different problems, and they can be used in conjunction with each other or separately, depending on the requirements and design of the system.

Best regards,

Gavin

0 Kudos