what's the ideal procedure to follow after changing dts file in provided imx8mp yocto bsp

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what's the ideal procedure to follow after changing dts file in provided imx8mp yocto bsp

Jump to solution
devds
Contributor III

Hello NXP community,

Could you please let me know what's the ideal steps to follow to submit changes done to dts file of yocto bsp (version: LF6.6.3_1.0.0) of imx8mp evk.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Chavira
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @devds!
Thank you for contacting NXP Support!

You can refer to the next community post on how to compile a device tree using devshell under Yocto.

https://community.nxp.com/t5/i-MX-Processors-Knowledge-Base/How-to-use-Devshell-to-compile-device-tr...

Best Regards!
Chavira

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Chavira
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @devds!
Thank you for contacting NXP Support!

You can refer to the next community post on how to compile a device tree using devshell under Yocto.

https://community.nxp.com/t5/i-MX-Processors-Knowledge-Base/How-to-use-Devshell-to-compile-device-tr...

Best Regards!
Chavira

devds
Contributor III

Hello,

After dts compilation and deployment, usually i used to do bitbake imx-image-full and after flash the new .wic file to microSD card and insert into imx8mp-evk and boot it,

Is it necessary to build image after dts change ?

What's are the ideal steps to follow after compiling and deploying device tree so that changes are flashed into hardware(imx8mp-evk).

thanks in advance

0 Kudos
Chavira
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @devds!

If you compile the entire image after the compilation of the device tree the image generated is updated.

If you compile the image before the device tree changes I recommend creating a new yocto project to be sure that the changes in the device tree are done.

And answering the question, is not necessary to compile the kernel image again but please ensure that you are using the same version.

To flash only a new device tree you can use the command fat_write under uuu tool to flash the new device tree under the fat partition of the board.

After all, you have to update your environment variable "fdtfile" to the new name of the device tree under U-boot.

Best Regards!

Chavira

devds
Contributor III

Hello @Chavira ,

Thanks for reply, These terms (uuu , fdtfile , fat partition etc..) are new to me. Could you please suggest a document or link where i can find more details of these procedure of flashing only changed dtb and related.

Thanks and Regards,

DineshDeevia

0 Kudos
Chavira
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @devds!

I understand!

You can refer to the next link to see all our available documentation.

https://www.nxp.com/design/design-center/software/embedded-software/i-mx-software/embedded-linux-for...

Best Regards!

Chavira

0 Kudos