Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

micro SDXC card support by Android4.4.2 for i.MX6

Jump to solution
yuuki
Senior Contributor II

Dear all,

We run Android4.4.2 on a SABRE board.
A micro SDXC card is connected to a USB OTG port through a USB-uSD adapter.
(USB-uSD adapter is supporting USB3.0.)

In this case, a micro SDXC card is not mounted correctly.

A micro SDXC card is recognized to be 0 GB.
And, the contents of it are not displayed.

The file format of a SDXC card is exFAT.
Does FSL's Android4.4.2 support an exFAT file format?

Is there how to support SDXC by Android4.4.2?

Best Regards,
Yuuki Murasato

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
SergioSolis
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Yuuki,

No, exFAT is not supported.

I am not aware of a workaround or a 'how to' to support exFAT, but I will check here if anyone knows something about it.

Best regards,
Sergio

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
leoschwab
Contributor III

The depressing news is here:  SDXC

Somehow Microsoft managed to con/bribe/blackmail the Secure Digital committee into making their proprietary exFAT filesystem a mandatory feature of SDXC.  Further, evidently some SDXC host controllers expect to find an exFAT formatted filesystem on cards larger than 32GB, and can barf if the user formatted it as something reasonable (like ext4, for example).

Linux support for exFAT is only experimental at this stage.  Key components of exFAT are protected behind (frivolous) patents, and Microsoft has refused to publicly release an exFAT specification.  As such, all exFAT support under Linux is based on reverse-engineering.

If interoperability isn't a concern (that is, if it isn't necessary for a Windows or Mac system to be able to read your SDXC cards), then you may be able to wipe and reformat the card as ext4, provided the host controller doesn't sabotage you.

There are some reports of people having success re-formatting an SDXC card with plain-jane FAT32.

SergioSolis
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Yuuki,

No, exFAT is not supported.

I am not aware of a workaround or a 'how to' to support exFAT, but I will check here if anyone knows something about it.

Best regards,
Sergio

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos