linux-3.4.1 hangs up after "Uncompressing Linux... done, booting the kernel." on I.MX28

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

linux-3.4.1 hangs up after "Uncompressing Linux... done, booting the kernel." on I.MX28

Jump to solution
mehmet
Contributor I

Hello all,

I have I.MX28 custom board and run with default kernel(linux-2.6.35.3) and fs without any problem.

I have to upgrade kernel to linux-3.1 or higher.  I tried linux-3.4.1.

I don't use uboot, use imx28_ivt_linux.sb image with sdcard.

I give path of new kernel for "kernel(Local Linux directory build)" config after "./ltib -m config". There is no problem, it was built and tried to run with new imx28_ivt_linux.sb but it hanged up after "Uncompressing Linux... done, booting the kernel" message.

I need your help, ideas..

Thanks

Mehmet

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
fabio_estevam
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

If you want to do a kernel upgrade for mx28, then I would suggest the latest stable version, which is 3.8.4.

The console in the mainline kernel is ttyAMA0, instead of ttyAM0 in 2.6.35.

Using the mainline U-boot can make things easier as well, as it supports booting a device tree kernel.

It is also possible to boot via bootlets, but you need to create a combined zImage with dtb + zImage.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
fabio_estevam
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

If you want to do a kernel upgrade for mx28, then I would suggest the latest stable version, which is 3.8.4.

The console in the mainline kernel is ttyAMA0, instead of ttyAM0 in 2.6.35.

Using the mainline U-boot can make things easier as well, as it supports booting a device tree kernel.

It is also possible to boot via bootlets, but you need to create a combined zImage with dtb + zImage.

0 Kudos
spearson
Contributor III

Below is a link that to some relevant discussion.  The likely change in the Kernel from 2.6.35.3 to 3.x is the inclusion of the dts/dtb files to setup the hardware.  No hardware configuration, no UART configuration, no debug messages can be printed after "Linux is uncompressed" message. Below is a thread with some relevant information.

Re: Mainline kernel on mx28evk