cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

imx8mm lpddr4 issue: Fail to resume from suspend

zhangjunsheng
Contributor III

Hi,

I encounter issue on our imx8mm board when resume from suspend. Comparing to imx8mm-evk, we use lpddr4: FORESEE_LPDDR4X_NCLDXC1MJ512M32. both hardware design and software code are levelage from imx8mm-evk board. our software branch is yocto zeus.

Operation:

To enter suspend: echo mem > /sys/power/state

To resume: press power button.

Findings:

1. system works stable in active power state with 1500M, 1200M and 800M DDR frequency. whole day memory stress test passed also.

2. no any console output when resume with 1500M DDR frequency. Looks heavy error cause CPU execute error codes.

3. system crashes at random location when resume with 1200M DDR frequency. Looks less error cause CPU get error data and kernel report panic.

Debug:

1. Download our u-boot and Image/dtb image to imx8mm-evk board (works with 1500M DDR frequency), imx8mm-evk board can suspend/resume.

2. Download imx8mm-evk board u-boot and Image/dtb image (the image works with 1500M DDR frequency), to our board, our board also can not resume from suspend.

Point:

1. As DDR works fine under active power state, it should not be the issue of LPDDR4 chip timing, our board timing and DDR configuration.

2. It should be some difference between active power state and the state switch from suspend to resume. refer "i.MX_Reference_Manual.pdf" 2.5.1.2, to save power, soc core will do some action such as change the drive strength of DDR pad before enter suspend state and recover it before resume. Is it caused by the change to DDR is not well recovered by soc core before resume and our LPDDR4 timing margin is nallow as well?

1. Our LPDDR4 timing margin is nallow, which can explain why imx8mm-evk board can resume while our board can not resume with 1500M frequency.

2. When our board works with 800M DDR frequency, which provide more timing margin so system can resume also.

3. SOC core does not recover DDR well, which can explain why our board with 1500M DDR frequency can work in active state but can not work during resume.

Questions:

1. Is my point about the cause reasonable?

2. What we can do to help for this issue?

3. What NXP can do to help for this issue?

Best regards.

Johnson

0 Kudos
2 Replies

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Johnson

I believe your considerations are correct, this may be due to narrow timing margins

on custom board. One can try to use latest RPA tool from below link and tweak drive

strength settings:

https://community.nxp.com/docs/DOC-340179 

Best regards
igor
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

zhangjunsheng
Contributor III

Hi Igor:

Thanks for your support.

I calibrate both imx8-evk board and our board, and find out the weakest drive strength can pass calibration are the same:

ddrparam set ATxImpedance 60
        ddrparam set ODTImpedance 240
        ddrparam set TxImpedance 60

Then I use this configuration on our board, find the system can resume from suspend now with 1500M DDR frequency.

Although I do not full understand why weak drive strength works, I will treat it a part of soc behavior and take as experience.

Thanks for your support.

Best regards.

Johnson

0 Kudos