Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iMX6Q Yocto version for optimal graphical performance

chbs
Contributor I

Hi

I got an iMX6Q board. Specifically this one:

i.MX 6Quad SABRE Development Board | NXP 

I have been using the zeus branch of meta-freescale, and thereby using the 4.9 kernel including the vivante graphical blobs version 6.2.4.p4.0.

I tried to pull the latest changes of meta-freescale, where I saw the old linux-fslc-imx kernel 4.9 where first removed.

Later, another kernel which the same name were added with version 5.4.

So I tried to use that, in combination with vivante 6.4.0.p2.0. Performance seems to be much worse than before with the 4.9 kernel with vivante 6.2.4.p4.0.

I then tried to use linux-fslc (also version 5.4) with vivante 6.4.0.p2.0, frankly because I was unsure whether linux-fslc-imx or linux-fslc were the kernel to use. Again; Performance seems to be much worse when comparing to the 4.9 kernel with vivante 6.2.4.p4.0.

I then tried to use the etnaviv solution with kernel linux-fslc, but saw the same problem: Performance seems to be much worse when comparing to the 4.9 kernel with vivante 6.2.4.p4.0.

Finally, I tried to use the zeus-5.4.24-2.1.0 release with vivante 6.4.0.p2.4 by:

$: repo init -u git://source.codeaurora.org/external/imx/imx-manifest.git -b imx-linux-zeus -m imx-5.4.24-2.1.0.xml
$: repo sync

configs chosen:

MACHINE = 'imx6qsabresd'
DISTRO ?= 'fsl-imx-wayland'

Again; Performance seems to be much worse when comparing to the 4.9 kernel with vivante 6.2.4.p4.0.

I assume more people than me are using an iMX6Q board and wants to run with accelerated graphics. What version do you suggest I use, and why ?

Notes to how I test performance:

I have been using QtWebengine simplebrowser example application to measure performance, and specifically http://antutu.com/html5.

With 4.9 kernel and vivante 6.2.4.p4.0 I score around 15000. With all the tests done with 5.4 kernels (linux-fslc-imx + vivante 6.4.0.p2.0, linux-fslc + vivante 6.4.0.p2.0, linux-fslc + etnaviv, linux-imx + vivante 6.4.0.p2.4) I score between 10000 and 12000, so pretty far behind.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

chbs
Contributor I

Hi Joan

Thanks for the response!

Today I got the recommendation that 5.4.24-2.1.0 were the one that Freescale/NXP recommends, so I am a little confused that you are recommending 5.4.24-2.1.0. But; Have not tested that version yet.

Someone related question: When Freescale/NXP makes a new release, are there done any type of graphical performance testing ?

BR

Christian

0 Kudos

joanxie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

dont' find such roadmap, 5.4.24 supports imx6, but refer to the release note, Automated Test only. so I suggest that you can use 4.19.35 version, which should be better performance than 4.9.x you used

0 Kudos

chbs
Contributor I

Hi

The 4.19.35 version you are referring to, can you be exact in terms of kernel branch and meta-freescale branch. ?

I sure would like to test that :smileyhappy:

BR

Christian

0 Kudos

joanxie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

I attached the yocto user guide and release note of 4.19.35, pls refer to it

0 Kudos

joanxie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

first, I dont' suggest that imx6 use 5.4.3_2.1.0, refer to the release note, 5.4 kernel isn't production used for imx6, the latest version for imx6 is 4.19.35, whose GPU driver upgraded to 6.4.0.p1.0, maybe you can test this version

0 Kudos