cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i.mx6 uboot DMA error when reading 8kbyte page size NAND flash

zctee
Contributor III

Hi all,

I am currently encounter another issue on the NAND integration for i.mx6SOLO.

I am using uboot version 2009.08.

NAND used is MT29F32G08CBADAWP, 4GByte, 2MB erase size, 8kByte page size.

I keep getting [read data]: DMA error message if i tried to read the NAND flash from uboot.

This happens also when the uboot trying to find the bad blocks while accessing the bad block table block.

I had done some experiment on the read_data function in gpmi_nfc_hal.c by limitting the DMA read size manually. I found out that if the size is less than 4095 bytes, the error will not be out.

I had change the NAND_MAX_PAGESIZE to 8192.

Is this due to uboot unable to handle big size (8kByte) DMA transfer? Is there any patch that can solve this issue?

Regards,

zc

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

jamesbone
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Yes,  The max allow is 4K.

0 Kudos

SKWoon
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi jamesbone,

The i.MX6 solo datasheet (downloadable from i.MX6S|i.MX 6Solo Processors|Multimedia|Freescale ) states "

8-bit NAND-Flash, including support for Raw MLC/SLC, 2 KB, 4 KB, and 8 KB page size,

BA-NAND, PBA-NAND, LBA-NAND, OneNAND™ and others. BCH ECC up to 40 bit.", so i.MX6 should be able to support 8KB page size unless the datasheet has some error?

Or do you mean that customer has to further work on the open source Linux code to properly support 8KB page size as what some customers have discussed on the following community sites?

i.MX6 and NAND flash H27UBG8T2CTR

i.mx6Solo booting from NAND issues

Best regards

Sock Keng

0 Kudos

jamesbone
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Uboot is the only that supports 4K, not the device

0 Kudos

zc_tee
Contributor III

Hi James,

Any update on this issue?

Thanks

Regards,

zc

0 Kudos

zctee
Contributor III

Hi James,

Thanks for replying.

Is there any patch to change it to read bigger size NAND? i think this is required as the NAND flash in the market now is getting bigger in capacity and thus bigger in page size.

In my system, I need the imx6 to boot up from a 4GB NAND flash. Therefore, bootloader support on this NAND flash with 8kB page size is required.

Thank you.

Regards,

zc

0 Kudos