Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i.MX7D USB HSIC Hub (USB3503) enumeration variability

billgessaman
Contributor IV

Hardware / Software Summary:

• Custom i.MX7D board based on MCIMX7SABRE board
  • Silicon rev 1.2 (MCIMX7D5EVM10SC)
  • BSP L4.1.15-1.0.0-GA primarily but also tested with L4.1.15-2.0.0-GA with difference seen
  • Microchip USB3503T-I/ML 3-port USB Hub with HSIC interface
  • Variation in cold boot / reboot enumeration of USB Hub
  • Two out of 50 systems *always* fail to enumerate USB Hub on cold boot / reboot, but those two systems *always* enumerate USB Hub properly on resume from suspend-to-RAM state (either PMIC standby or LPSR mode).

Our application required more USB Host ports than were implemented by the i.MX7 SABRE board, so the Microchip USB3503 Hub was included to add the two additional ports that we needed. The guidelines for hardware design for both the i.MX7D and the USB3503 were taken into account and the critical routing of the DATA and STROBE signals was implemented to be less than 1" with their length matched to within just a little more than 5 mils. Most boards work correctly 99% of the time, but once in a while I have seen a system fail to enumerate the USB Hub. In these cases, a reboot (equivalent to a cold boot because the PMIC is forced off then turned back on again) will result in the USB Hub enumerating correctly.

This was true until I discovered two boards that fail 99.9% of the time on a cold boot / reboot. With these boards, I actually have something to try to find the root cause. First the high level visibility of the issue in the console serial output is:

ci_hdrc ci_hdrc.2: EHCI Host Controller
ci_hdrc ci_hdrc.2: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 2
ci_hdrc ci_hdrc.2: USB 2.0 started, EHCI 1.00
usb usb2: New USB device found, idVendor=1d6b, idProduct=0002
usb usb2: New USB device strings: Mfr=3, Product=2, SerialNumber=1
usb usb2: Product: EHCI Host Controller
usb usb2: Manufacturer: Linux 4.1.15+ ehci_hcd
usb usb2: SerialNumber: ci_hdrc.2
hub 2-0:1.0: USB hub found
hub 2-0:1.0: 1 port detected
usb 2-1: new high-speed USB device number 2 using ci_hdrc
usb 2-1: device no response, device descriptor read/64, error -71
usb 2-1: new high-speed USB device number 3 using ci_hdrc

A normal system with a USB Flash drive on a USB Hub downstream port looks like this:

ci_hdrc ci_hdrc.2: EHCI Host Controller
ci_hdrc ci_hdrc.2: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 2
ci_hdrc ci_hdrc.2: USB 2.0 started, EHCI 1.00
usb usb2: New USB device found, idVendor=1d6b, idProduct=0002
usb usb2: New USB device strings: Mfr=3, Product=2, SerialNumber=1
usb usb2: Product: EHCI Host Controller
usb usb2: Manufacturer: Linux 4.1.15+ ehci_hcd
usb usb2: SerialNumber: ci_hdrc.2
hub 2-0:1.0: USB hub found
hub 2-0:1.0: 1 port detected
usb 2-1: New USB device found, idVendor=0424, idProduct=3503
usb 2-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=0, Product=0, SerialNumber=0
hub 2-1:1.0: USB hub found
hub 2-1:1.0: 2 ports detected
usb 2-1.2: new high-speed USB device number 3 using ci_hdrc
usb 2-1.2: New USB device found, idVendor=0781, idProduct=5595
usb 2-1.2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
usb 2-1.2: Product: Ultra USB 3.0
usb 2-1.2: Manufacturer: SanDisk
usb 2-1.2: SerialNumber: 4C531001641115101474
usb-storage 2-1.2:1.0: USB Mass Storage device detected

Over the last 2 to 3 weeks I have taken the following steps to isolate the cause of the problem:

1. Verified that the accuracy and jitter of the 24 MHz reference clock from the i.MX7 to the USB3503 is within the specifications for the USB3503.
  2. Verified all related power supplies on both i.MX7 and USB3503.
  3. Verified related signal levels and general timing relationships against a known "good" board.
  4. Technician inspected USB3503 solder quality on both boards that always fail, then both Hubs were reflowed to make sure there were no bad solder joints.  HINT: When these boards were booted very soon after reflow, they both worked correctly!  As they cooled off to room temp again, they returned to always failing.  Further experimentation with heat / cold showed a strong thermal relationship between working / failing respectively.
  5. New USB3503T-I/ML parts were purchased and the Hubs on both "bad" boards were replaced.  There was no change in behavior and they continued to be sensitive to temperature in the same way.
  6. I then started trying to understand what would trigger the "error -71" which is an EPROTO error in the Linux kernel.  I'm not sure why I tried to put a "bad" system into suspend-to-RAM and then resume, but this lead to the revelation that the USB Hub *always* enumerates properly during resume!  I have tried this with Linux configured to do a powered "standby" on the USB Hub, and I have also used LPSR mode to suspend /resume which turns off all power supplies to the USB Hub.  Both work equally well on the "bad" boards to re-initialize the USB Host interface to the USB3503!
  7. I chased the source of the "error -71" to lower levels of the USB drivers and found that the Chipidea HDRC driver sees the following error and retries 32 times before returning the -EPROTO error.
    ci_hdrc ci_hdrc.2: detected XactErr len 0/8 retry 1
  8. Looking deeper into ehci_hcd.c and getting some visibility on what ehci register read / write operations are being done, I found that a "bad board" is detecting that the UEI bit of the USB2_USBSTS register is being set to indicate that an USB error interrupt has been detected. The following debug output (non-standard code added by me) shows the first few register read / write operations when it tries to enumerate the USB3503 Hub.
    On a "bad board":

ehci_readl: 0xf5b30144 = 0x00000080
    ehci_writel: 0xf5b30140 = 0x00010b25
    ehci_readl: 0xf5b30140 = 0x00010b25
    ehci_readl: 0xf5b30144 = 0x00008082           <<-- read of USB2_USBSTS with UEI bit set
    ehci_writel: 0xf5b30144 = 0x00000002           <<-- write of USB2_USBSTS to clear UEI bit
    ci_hdrc ci_hdrc.2: detected XactErr len 0/8 retry 1
    ehci_readl: 0xf5b30144 = 0x00008082
    ehci_writel: 0xf5b30144 = 0x00000002

On a normally good board or during a resume from suspend:

usb 2-1: new high-speed USB device number 6 using ci_hdrc
    ehci_readl: 0xf5b30144 = 0x00000080
    ehci_writel: 0xf5b30140 = 0x00010b25
    ehci_readl: 0xf5b30144 = 0x00048081
    ehci_writel: 0xf5b30144 = 0x00000001
    usb 2-1: usb_start_wait_urb length=18, retval=0
    ehci_readl: 0xf5b30184 = 0x0a001205
    ehci_writel: 0xf5b30184 = 0x0a001301
    usb usb2: usb_start_wait_urb length=0, retval=0

At this point, I've run out of places to look for new information so I'm stuck and need someones deep insight into what can trigger this error and particularly why it only happens on a cold boot / reboot.  What is different for a suspend / resume than what is done on a cold boot / reboot?  Why does the interface to the USB3503 work flawlessly if you can get past the initial enumeration, but that part is variable from board to board and between boot cycles?

Thanks,

Bill Gessaman

Labels (2)
25 Replies

mehdi_taabouri
Contributor I

We have encountered a similar problem in my company with the same enumeration problem and error message from the kernel. We've found this thread to be particularly insightful. We use the same HUB chip (USB3503) connected to hsic interface in a iMX8QM processor. We have noticed that some variations in the electronics (physical layout of the wires) may lead to this problem. We give the following suggestions on how to further investigate this issue.

- Check the quality of the strobe and data signals. Because it's high speed data transmission, these wires are especially sensitive to interference.

- To improve the quality of the signals one can look at the pad configuration of data and strobe signals in the device tree. Assuming you have the correct pin Mux configuration, you could try different values of DSE (drive impedance). We have made a slightly different layout of the wires in a newer version of the HW that lead to poorer signal quality. Decreasing the drive impedance has improved the quality again. The enumeration problem disappeared. Praise goes to a brilliant colleague of mine. Hope you find these suggestions helpful.

0 Kudos

jordan_chen
Contributor II

Bill and All,

Thanks for sharing the info.

I have the other question. Dose anyone know the maximum USB endpoint numbers on i.MX7D?

USB endpint may be used for Control, Data-In or Data-Out as descripted in following link.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/usbcon/usb-endpoints-and-their-pipes

If we add too many devices (e.g. modem, USB flash disk, ...), some of them may not work for endpoint resource is not enough.

I study i.MX 7Dual Datasheet and it's mentioned two high-speed USB 2.0 OTG, one high-speed USB 2.0 host. It does not mention about maximum USB endpoint numbers. I study i.MX 7Dual Reference Manual and find its' mentioned "Up to 32 elements" on Figure 11-89 End Point Queue Head Diagram. I am not sure whether it means the maximum USB endpoint numbers on i.MX7D.

Regards,

Jordan

0 Kudos

etim
Contributor II

You probably need a new thread; but the MX6 is limited to 16 (8in/8out). Note that this is a USB Device controller issue (not a Host issue).

0 Kudos

etim
Contributor II

Bill and others-

Thank you kindly for your methodical debug/logging; you saved me much time.

I've been able to get the USB3503 <> MX6Q (feels like the same IP as MX7) to work reliably. It seems to point towards order of device bring-up.

The following changes were required:

• Update to NXP 4.9 kernel (or at least merge drivers/usb/chipidea); HSIC changes were added that are required
  • Drop the USB3503 from the DTS - due to non-deterministic DTS device bring-up we need to force the USB3503 initialization to occur after MX6 HSIC.
  • Force USB3503 to reset state before kernel loads (using whatever bootloader you have)
  • Allow DTS to pinctrl HSIC IOs (see imx6q-arm2.dts/imx6q-arm2-hsic.dts in imx_4.9.11_1.0.0_ga)
  • Ensure HSIC DTS portions have phy_type, fsl,usbphy, and fsl,anatop set
    • Set fsl,usbphy to a "usb-nop-xceiv" node
  • Create a user application that takes the USB3503 out of reset and sets the proper i2c settings for your configuration
    • Ensure reset signal on USB3503 is raised
    • I2C will most likely look very similar (except for API calls) to the USB3503 kernel driver
    • Run this application early in your init

This approach will yield the same 'error -71' messages that Bill saw during the time BETWEEN MX6 HSIC probe complete and the completion of the user-space application that brings up the USB3503. After the user-space application is complete you should see the USB3503 properly enumerate and function properly.

best

Tim

etim
Contributor II

Folks-

After some further testing the above method still may encounter failures. I want to share the results of further debugging that I believe fully addresses the issue.

Recommendations:

• Remain on 4.9 kernel
  • Continue using HSIC DTS definitions mentioned above (including pinctrl)
  • Remove user-space application that takes USB3503 out of reset
  • Add USB3503 definition BACK to DTS
  • Update PORTSC settings (see below)

Update PORTSC settings:

It appears there is an error in Marvell HSIC PHYs that is corrected for in the kernel. This appears to significantly mess up MX6|7 <=> USB3503. Navigate to drivers/usb/chipidea/host.c. Find the comment line that starts with "Marvell 28nm HSIC PHY"...

From here there are 2 options:

• Comment out the 2 hw_port_test_set calls
  • Cleaner approach: AND-in another condition to the surrounding if: "!(ci->platdata->flags & CI_HDRC_IMX_IS_HSIC)"

After updating to this approach I no longer see any of the mentioned "error -71..." errors. I have yet to see any errors/failure to enumerate after a few hundred boots.

best

Tim

dogisfat
Contributor IV

Tim,

Do you have examples of the USB3503 DTS definitions that you could share?

Thanks,

Allen

0 Kudos

etim
Contributor II

Allen-

Add this to your top:

"usbnophy0: usbphy@0 { compatible = "usb-nop-xceiv"; }" for Controller Core 2 

"usbnophy1: usbphy@1 { compatible = "usb-nop-xceiv"; }" for Controller Core 3

Down in your I2C DTS portion, Include (only Controller Core 2, CC3 is similar):

im2:i2c@2{            #address-cells = <1>;            #size-cells = <0>;            reg = <2>;             usbhub2: usb3503@08 {               compatible = "smsc,usb3503";               reg = <0x08>;               initial-mode = <1>; // HUB               reset-gpios = <&gpio6 4 GPIO_ACTIVE_LOW>;               status = "okay";            };           };

And update usbh2 (CC2 only):

&usbh2 {

pinctrl-names = "idle", "active";    pinctrl-0 = <&pinctrl_usbh2_1>;    pinctrl-1 = <&pinctrl_usbh2_2>;    phy_type = "hsic";    dr_mode = "host";    fsl,usbphy = <&usbnophy0>;    fsl,anatop = <&anatop>;    status = "okay"; };

dogisfat
Contributor IV

Unfortunately the SOM we are using does not have an i2c attachment to the USB3503 controller. I have verified the "compatible" settings and the matching settings in the those under &usbh2 in your last comment. Additionally I have added the check to skip the hw_port_test_set calls when an iMX device is in use. I am still experiencing the error detailed in the original post. 

Do you believe the i2c connection is critical to the solution? If so what leads you to suspect that?

Thanks

0 Kudos

etim
Contributor II

Allen-

The usb3503 driver resets the device and sets reasonable defaults. I can't say if it's essential or not as my board as the connection. Unfortunately I don't have time to test w/o loading the driver module.

Is it possible for you to use some test points to connect the MX6|7 to the 3503?

dogisfat
Contributor IV

Tim,

Thanks for the response. The system is laid out in a way that it is not possible on our purchased SOM.

0 Kudos

markruthenbeck
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Bill,

Thanks for the details in your message. As usual, you only pass on the real hard questions :smileyhappy:

In you notes above, you indicated that a comparison between a known good board shows no difference, have you compared the transactions to the spec? The timing may be off a bit from spec, and the parts are tolerant of this on most systems but not all.

Also, to answer one of your questions about the differences between a power up and a resume from a power down mode. The main difference is the reset sequence. For power up, there is a full por sequence going on, and for a resume, much of the por is assumed completed. So the handshake from the HUB device seems to be seen on the resume, and not on powerup.

check the timing of the reset and handshake of the hub device.

thanks,

mark

0 Kudos

billgessaman
Contributor IV

Hi Mark,

I do my best to avoid wasting people's time with mundane questions.  I was pretty happy to see you pop in on this post as you have always found the answers to the hard questions!

I agree with you that it feels like the "timing" may be off and some systems just manage to tolerate it better than others.  When I think worst case, this timing would be the timing of the DATA and STROBE signals of the HSIC interface, but scoping these signals while not being intrusive, then being sure that they are meeting the spec is quite challenging.  Were you referring to the timing of these two signals, or some more general timing like the relationship of the reference clock, reset or connect signals to the external Hub?

The thing that seems to make the interface work is to put the USB3503 Hub through a reset cycle after all the initialization of the i.MX7 USB initialization is complete.  At power up the USB3503 gets initialized about 1 second before the HSIC Host interface in the i.MX7 gets initialized.  When doing a resume from LPSR power down mode, the i.MX7 peripheral registers get reloaded from the copy in internal RAM very early on, then the usbmisc_imx driver detects that power was lost so it runs an init function, and lastly the USB3503 Hub driver resume function gets called to put it back into its connected state.  This may be important and we may be looking at a side effect of how we constructed our Linux device tree, since we didn't find any examples of other reference designs that actually implemented the USB via a HSIC interface.  I'm going to see if I can figure out how to insert a reference to the USB3503 in the"usbh" section of the device tree so that the USB3503 probe function gets deferred until after the "usbh" device probe is complete.

Thanks,

Bill

0 Kudos

markruthenbeck
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Bill,

It seems that you have the root cause figured out here. Do you need my help with the dtsi file so the peripherals are initialized in the proper order?

Please let me know,

mark

0 Kudos

billgessaman
Contributor IV

Mark,

I don't really feel like the is a known root cause at this time.  There is circumstantial evidence that suspend / resume corrects the state of the HSIC interface to the external Hub, but there is no real "smoking gun".  I've been unable to work on this issue full time the last few days but I do have some updates of things that I tried.

1. I modified the imx7.dtsi device tree file so that the "usbh" device is above the "usbotg1" and "usbotg2" devices.  I wanted to see whether the behavior was any different if the USB Host interface for HSIC was initialized prior to the other two USB interfaces.  This change did change the order, but it did not change the behavior.
  2. I modified the usb3503_probe() function in the usb3503 driver so that it doesn't complete the probe if the "usbh" device does not exist yet.  Instead it defers the probing of the usb3503 until the USB interface in the i.MX7 has been probed.  This did change the timing so that the usb3503 probe is completed about 400ms before the failure to enumerate the external USB Hub (instead of about 1000ms without this change), but a board that always failed on a cold boot still continued to fail on a cold boot.  The suspend / resume continued to fix the issue just as before, so I don't think I totally broke something with those driver changes.
  3. I spent a couple of days turning on a new build of 50 circuit boards.  Only 2 of the 50 boards exhibited this issue in the time that I was working with these boards.  There were no changes to the design or the circuit board layout in the area of the i.MX7 to USB3503 interface, but this feels like a lower failure rate than the prior build of boards.

I intend to keep digging but will be out of office until next Wednesday.

Thanks,

Bill

0 Kudos

markruthenbeck
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Bill,

In discussing this with the BSP team, they do indicate the order of execution is NOT controlled in anyway by the DTS file. This file is used for the addresses of the device. So, making changes here will not change the order of execution, which you have already shown.

Thanks for the datapoint that you have here about the board still fails, even when the i.MX init has completed prior to the USB3503. This is somewhat puzzling. I will continue to discuss here, and if I come up with anything pertinent, I will let you know. Please keep me informed on your progress.

thanks,

mark

0 Kudos

billgessaman
Contributor IV

Mark,

My apologies for the number of questions in this post, but I have found no solution yet.  First I would like to address the prior topic of ordering of peripherals in the DTSI file.  In our application, we have two USB host ports by using the peripherals "usbotg2" and "usbh" as shown in the standard imx7d.dtsi file and when Linux starts up they become "usb1" and "usb2" respectively.  If I alter the order of these peripherals in the imx7d.dtsi file as shown below, then "usbh" becomes "usb1" and "usbotg2" become "usb2".  The initialization shown in dmesg does show usb1 always getting initialized first and then usb2, so this maneuver does successfully swap the order of initialization.

usbh: usb@30b30000 {
   compatible = "fsl,imx7d-usb", "fsl,imx27-usb";
   reg = <0x30b30000 0x200>;
   interrupts = <GIC_SPI 40 IRQ_TYPE_LEVEL_HIGH>;
   clocks = <&clks IMX7D_USB_CTRL_CLK>;
   fsl,usbphy = <&usbphy_nop3>;
   fsl,usbmisc = <&usbmisc3 0>;
   phy_type = "hsic";
   dr_mode = "host";
   phy-clkgate-delay-us = <400>;
   status = "disabled";
};

usbotg1: usb@30b10000 {
   reg = <0x30b10000 0x200>;
   interrupts = <GIC_SPI 43 IRQ_TYPE_LEVEL_HIGH>;
   fsl,usbphy = <&usbphy_nop1>;
   fsl,usbmisc = <&usbmisc1 0>;
   status = "disabled";
};

usbotg2: usb@30b20000 {
   reg = <0x30b20000 0x200>;
   interrupts = <GIC_SPI 42 IRQ_TYPE_LEVEL_HIGH>;
   fsl,usbphy = <&usbphy_nop2>;
   fsl,usbmisc = <&usbmisc2 0>;
   status = "disabled";
};

I don't want to get into an argument with your BSP team (because I desperately need their help right now!), but I do want to be clear about what I have seen.  Device tree is a mysterious beast and it is easy to get unpredictable results.

Now the questions:

1. Does NXP have any i.MX7 reference designs that implement the USB HSIC interface to an external device?
  2. Have other i.MX7 customers been able to successfully implement systems that utilize the USB HSIC interface?
  3. An early description I was given of the i.MX7 indicated that it used the same USB IP as the i.MX6 series, but the i.MX7 USBNC memory map looks very different than that in the i.MX6 parts.  Is the USB HSIC exactly the same as what is in the i.MX6?  (The following questions are dependent on "yes" being the answer to this question)
  4. The usbmisc_imx driver has some differences in the operations for i.MX6 devices compared to i.MX7.  The most notable is that imx7d_usbmisc_ops does not include any hsic_set_clk or hsic_set_connect structure assignments.  This is probably intentional but may also indicate that they are implemented in a different way.
  5. Once again in the usbmisc_imx driver, the usbmisc_imx6_hsic_set_connect() function is testing bit 21 (MX6_BM_HSIC_DEV_CON) in the HSIC control registers for i.MX6 parts and making sure that it is set.  The i.MX6Dual/Quad RM and the i.MX6SoloX RM do not describe what bit 21 does, but just say that it is reserved.  See page 5461 in the i.MX6DQ RM for example.  Since the i.MX7 USBNC memory map is very different than that of the i.MX6 parts, is this just implemented in a different way?

Enough for now - I'm not sure exactly what to look into next but I intend to keep digging until I figure this out.

Thanks,

Bill

0 Kudos

markruthenbeck
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Bill,

I would like to try and answer your questions here:

1) We do not have a customer reference design. We usually have smd connectors on our board on the hsic stubs. This is used to verify the timing and diagrams of the outputs.

2) Yes we do have customer's using this interface.

3) My initial findings indicate the controller for the 7D is the same as the imx6SX, the phy's are different due to the different process nodes.

4 & 5) I need to pass this onto the software driver engineers to answer.

The questions on the dts file changing the order of initialization, while your testing does show this, some of our experts are indicating that it will not be deterministic, since the kernel can send the tasks to different cores at different time. If you would like, I can have your dts file examined by our software experts here. I know some of your information is confidential to you, you can send it to my nxp email address and not post it here. (mark.ruthenbeck@nxp.com

Also on your hsic hub chip, I have not pulled up the datasheet on this (that is why my questions) is there a por or other reset lines that may be timed differently on the boards that fail.

Let me know,

mark

0 Kudos

billgessaman
Contributor IV

Hi Mark,

I agree that I probably got lucky with the dts file change that I made, but the important part is that the result happened to change the initialization order without it fixing the issue so I was able to determine that the order was not the issue.

The USB3503 does have an active low reset that is controlled by an i.MX7 GPIO output.  This is how the system puts the hub into "standby" to get low power consumption during suspend.  There is also an i.MX7 GPIO output that controls the HUB_CONNECT pin on the hub.  The USB3503 driver can be configured to initiate the transition to Hub Communication Stage where the enumeration and subsequent USB traffic happens.  We have both the HUB_CONNECT GPIO as well as the I2C interface which can also be used to trigger the state transition, but I haven't been able to demonstrate any difference based on which one is used.

I'm going to send you an email which will include a copy of our device tree file.  One area where we have always had issues is properly defining reference clocks to be output by the i.MX7 and used by external components.  The USB3503 is a case of this in that we route 24 MHz out of the i.MX7 to the USB3503.  Our usual challenge is having the clock come on early enough and then keeping the Linux power management from turning it back off because it thinks there are no consumers.  In fact, we have included "clk_ignore_unused" on the Linux command line to avoid this power management optimization getting in our way.

Thanks,

Bill

0 Kudos

gopinathsriniva
Contributor III

Hi Bill,

I am facing the exact same issue with our custom IMX7 dual board and HSIC USB3503 chip. Have you resolved this issue? Can you share the solution with us? 

Thanks and regards,

Gopinath S

0 Kudos

billgessaman
Contributor IV

Hi Gopinath,

I fully expected that someone would experience the same issue with the i.MX7D HSIC interface and the Microchip USB3503 Hub, so your question didn't come as much of a surprise.

We were never able to resolve the issue, so we replaced the USB3503 with a USB2513 that we had several years of experience with in a previous product.  We had to abandon using the HSIC interface and used the USB-OTG2 port on the i.MX7D to connect to the upstream port on the USB2513.  We had been using only two downstream ports on the USB3503 Hub, so this was acceptable in that we now use all three downstream ports on the USB2513 Hub.

I had very good support from a FAE at Microchip and Mark Ruthenbeck as always did everything humanly possible to get information from the technical team at NXP, but no evidence ever surfaced that made the i.MX7D or the USB3503 the prime suspect in the issue.  It didn't help that only some circuit boards would fail to enumerate the USB3503 and then it only happen some of the time!  There was a temperature sensitivity to the issue as well.  Don't forget that it only happened on a cold start and would never happen on a system suspend / resume which would re-enumerate the USB3503 Hub during the resume.  Once the USB3503 had enumerated, its operation as a USB Hub was flawless with the i.MX7D.

My instincts were telling me that it was some critical initialization timing issue that might be related to getting a PLL settled properly, clock distribution or ??  The complexity of the Linux USB software hierarchy became the biggest challenge in trying to alter the timing of the USB3503 initialization and enumeration in a way that affected the issue.  I really hate to leave issues like this unresolved but the timeline to get our product production ready became more important.  I'm wishing you much success in finding a solution!

I really do wish that NXP reference designs made it possible to prove out the USB HSIC interface with a real circuit like the USB3503.  We might have been able to avoid getting in this deep before finding out that there is some sort of system issue here.

Best Regards,

Bill Gessaman