Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i.MX6 SDK (Software Development Kit) ver 1.1 installation & usage

nestle
Contributor III

Hello,

I have a (newbie) question.

I downloaded the i.MX6 SDK ver 1.1 here :

https://www.freescale.com/webapp/Download?colCode=i.MX6_PLATFORM_SDK&location=null&Parent_nodeId=133...

I'd like to use it to control the peripherals of the i.MX6 chip on my Sabre Lite board.  The sdk includes examples of how to control all the peripherals.

The ReadMe file on the inside says that I have to compile the SDK using Sourcery Codebench Lite.  However that is now a commercial Mentor Graphics product.  I know they have a 30 day evaluation version.

How exactly are you guys controlling all the peripherals on your boards?  Did you start with the SDK above?

I presume that I have to find some way to compile the above SDK and then include the binary file in my project when I write code for the i.MX6 in Eclipse.  Is that correct?

Please help me with your advice on how to get this thing going.  I can already download and run "hello world" apps on my Sabre Lite board after compiling them in Eclipse.  But that's as far as I've got.  I'd like to toggle some GPIOs, use the UART, SPI, MIPI..etc etc. and I think I need to figure out the above before I can reach that goal.

Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

bytefirst
Contributor I

This is a really old question but I am hoping for a response. Did anyone ever figure out how to download Sourcery CodeBench LITE for ARM? Is there a free version somewhere? I have the toolchain https://launchpad.net/gcc-arm-embedded/4.8/4.8-2014-q3-update downloaded / installed. Just need the Sourcery CodeBranch IDE.

My board is: SABRE Board for Smart Devices Based on the i.MX 6Quad

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi M T

SDK is compiled well using instructions given in attached README.pdf,

I did not try it with Eclipse, but seems it should not be difficult. One can import

sources and necessary headers to Eclipse (or other IDE environment).

Sabre Lite board is not supported by SDK, so one will have to made some

modifications in iomux settings (/board folder).

Best regards

igor

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

nestle
Contributor III

I'm kind of confused.

Can you answer this question for me please :

Where do I find the SDK for the Sabre Lite board?

The i.MX6 SDK ver 1.1 is targeted to Freescale's Sabre board rather than the Sabre Lite board which I have.  I know I would have to change some stuff for the pin allocation or something to get it to work with the Sabre Lite board.  But for now I'd like to avoid that as I'm still new to all of this.

Can I use Yocto to bitbake an SDK for Sabre Lite that is the equivalent of Freescale's i.MX6 SDK ver 1.1?

If so, what is the recipe I should bitbake ?  

Is it meta-toolchain-sdk or packagegroup-core-sdk or something like that?  Please tell me how to I create an SDK for the Sabre Lite board.

Thanks.

0 Kudos

nestle
Contributor III

It seems like Mentor Graphics has indeed taken control of Sourcery Codebench Lite and trashed it.

Freescale can you PLEASE produce a version of the i.MX6 SDK ver 1.1 that we can compile without Sourcery Codebench?

I don't want to be using Mentor Graphics 30 day "trial" edition of Sourcery Codebench.

What a pain!  Why does Mentor Graphics have to screw it up for us to make us pay pay pay thousands of dollars for Sourcery Codebench.

This is what I found on the net so it seems my above conclusions are correct :

I have been using Sourcery CodeBench LITE for ARM targets until today when I realized that it is no longer available for ARM targets. Instead Mentor graphics wants us to pay the non-free Sourcery CodeBench.

0 Kudos