Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i.MX 8M plus PPS pinout

Jump to solution
flobue
Contributor II

Hello

I am trying to get the PPS of the ENET QoS module to work, on an i.MX 8M plus.

And I need some clarification on the differences between the ENET_QOS_1588_EVENTx and the PPSx.

Firstly I thought, that the ENET_QOS_1588_EVENTx is simply the output of the PPSx. However:
When writing 0x02 to the IOMUXC_SW_MUX_CTL_PAD_SAI2_TXFS register (Select ALT2 ENET_QOS_1588_EVENT3), a PPS? is visible at the pin (when PTP is enabled with ptp4l).
But no config of a PPS does anything to it (eg. writing 0x50d7a960 to MAC_HW_FEATURE2 to disable all PPS).

So what is the difference between the ENET_QOS_1588_EVENTx and the PPSx?
Is the ENET_QOS_1588_EVENTx simply the output of the PPSx? If so, Why can I not change anything at the output?
If they are independent functionalities, on what does the event trigger, how can I manipulate it? And which pins can be used as an output of the PPS?

Sadly, I cannot find anything to these questions in the reference manual or the datasheet.

Regards and thanks for your help

0 Kudos
1 Solution
flobue
Contributor II

Thanks for the clarification!

My mistake was, that I thought, that the base address of the enet_qos was at 4043_C000h, as specified in chapter 11.7.6.1.1 "ENET_QOS memory map" of the reference manual. The correct base address is 30BF_0000h as specified in 2.5 "AIPS Memory Maps".

Is there some reason, for the different address in chapter 11.7.6.1.1? Or is this an error in the reference manual?

Regards

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Sanket_Parekh
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @flobue 

I hope you are doing well.

One can use the ENET_QOS_1588_EVENTx_OUT pin to output the PPS signal.

PPSOUTNUM[26:24] bit of MAC_HW_FEATURE2 register seems to be a read-only register and it indicates the number of PPS outputs.

It does not disable PPS outputs.

Please refer to 11.7.2.5.8 Flexible Pulse-Per-Second Output in i.MX 8M Plus Applications Processor Reference Manual for more information.

Thanks & Regards,

Sanket Parekh

flobue
Contributor II

Thanks for the clarification!

My mistake was, that I thought, that the base address of the enet_qos was at 4043_C000h, as specified in chapter 11.7.6.1.1 "ENET_QOS memory map" of the reference manual. The correct base address is 30BF_0000h as specified in 2.5 "AIPS Memory Maps".

Is there some reason, for the different address in chapter 11.7.6.1.1? Or is this an error in the reference manual?

Regards

0 Kudos
Sanket_Parekh
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @flobue 

I hope you are doing well.

The base address of  EQOS ENET is 30BF_0000h as specified in 2.5 "AIPS Memory Maps" in RM.

There seems to be some printing mistake.
As the address above 4000_0000h falls under the DDR region.

/arch/arm64/boot/dts/freescale/imx8mp.dtsi also have 30BF_0000h address.
eqos: ethernet@30bf0000

Thanks & Regards,
Sanket Parekh
0 Kudos