i.MX 6ULL - EIM 'BCLK' continuous clock mode and 'ADDR/DATA' bus state between transactions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i.MX 6ULL - EIM 'BCLK' continuous clock mode and 'ADDR/DATA' bus state between transactions.

Luckee
Contributor I

Hi, Community!

CPU: i.MX 6ULL ( MCIMX6Y1CVK05AA / MCIMX6Y1CVK05AB ).

EIM mode: Multiplexed Address/Data Mode - 16 bit.

• 0x21B_8000 - 0x511104AF.
    • 3 bit - MUM - 1 (Multiplexed Mode enable).
    • 2 bit - SRD - 1 (read accesses are in Synchronous mode).
    • 1 bit - SWR - 1 (write accesses are in Synchronous mode).
  • 0x21B_8090 - 0x00000029.
    • 3 bit - CONT_BCLK_ SEL - 1 (BCLK Continuous).
    • 0 bit - BCM - 1 (The burst clock runs whenever ACLK is active).

Q1.

According to the description of the bit 3 of register 0x21B_8090 (’CONT_BCLK_SEL’) we can generate continuous clock on ‘EIM_BCLK’ output pin. However, it doesn’t. But at the same time bit 0 (’BCM’) makes it work. So what is the principal difference between these two modes? How they affect each other, e.g. when ‘CONT_BCLK_SEL’ = 1 and ‘BCM’ = 1?

Q2.

We are using FPGA in our design and ‘EIM_BCLK’ pin as a source clock for it. That’s why it is important to know if internal ‘aclk’ and external ‘EIM_BCLK’ clocks are synchronized as in i.MX6 Solo-Lite, where special DLL is used for this purpose. Interested in cases:

• Normal mode (not ‘continuous’ clock).
  • Continuous clock .
  • ‘BCD ≠ 0’, when ‘aclk’ > ‘EIM_BCLK’?

Q3.

Due to some limitations of the design ‘EIM_OE’ signal must be delayed for 1 cycle inside FPGA. That’s why internal FPGA scheme will hold and drive ‘A/D’ bus for 1 clock cycle longer than it is expected after transaction is finished (’EIM_CS’ and ‘EIM_OE’ deasserted).

Several experiments have been done and found that ‘A/D’ bus remains tri-stated (Z-state) between transactions. However, no official information about the state of the ‘muxed’ A/D-bus between transaction was found. So, is it safe and valid read transaction shown on the attached diagram (‘RWSC’ = 2)? 

• Top diagram: ‘A/D’ bus immediately released by FPGA according to ‘EIM_OE’ signal (reference case).
  • Bottom diagram: ‘A/D’ bus released by FPGA internal scheme only after additional 1 clock cycle delay (our case). 

EIM_READ_TRANSACTION.png

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

Dhruvit
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @Luckee ,

I hope you are doing well.

1. When using a continuous BCLK in synchronous mode, BCD MUST be set to 0.
2. I.MX6ULL doesn't provide a feature for Support continuous Burst Clock which can be used as a reference clock for FPGA
    i.MX6ULL does not have a special PLL for generating continuous BCLK synchronized with internal ACLK. This feature is supported in i.MX6 S/DL
    we cannot guarantee, that BCLK in continuous mode is fully synchronized with ACLK as the continuous mode is intended mainly for debugging in i.MX6ULL
3. the state of the muxed A/D-bus between transactions remains in tri-state. the diagram seems correct however you need to increase Read Wait State as the A/D bus is stretched by one cycle.

Thanks & Regards
Dhruvit Vasavada
0 Kudos