Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to build zImage for i.mx8mq

Jump to solution
kingplayer
Contributor II

hi nxp,

I want  download zImage from ftp,and use nfs,but only Image build on imx8mq by defalut Yocto Project;

I changed  imx-base.inc,  KERNEL_IMAGETYPE_mx8 = "Image"
 to KERNEL_IMAGETYPE_mx8 = "zImage", then build error!

build log:

| DEBUG: Executing shell function do_compile
| NOTE: make -j 4 HOSTCC=gcc -isystem/home/droid/imx-yocto-bsp/build-xwayland/tmp/work/imx8mqevk-poky-linux/linux-imx/4.9.88-r0/recipe-sysroot-native/usr/include -O2 -pipe -L/home/droid/imx-yocto-bsp/build-xwayland/tmp/work/imx8mqevk-poky-linux/linux-imx/4.9.88-r0/recipe-sysroot-native/usr/lib -L/home/droid/imx-yocto-bsp/build-xwayland/tmp/work/imx8mqevk-poky-linux/linux-imx/4.9.88-r0/recipe-sysroot-native/lib -Wl,-rpath-link,/home/droid/imx-yocto-bsp/build-xwayland/tmp/work/imx8mqevk-poky-linux/linux-imx/4.9.88-r0/recipe-sysroot-native/usr/lib -Wl,-rpath-link,/home/droid/imx-yocto-bsp/build-xwayland/tmp/work/imx8mqevk-poky-linux/linux-imx/4.9.88-r0/recipe-sysroot-native/lib -Wl,-rpath,/home/droid/imx-yocto-bsp/build-xwayland/tmp/work/imx8mqevk-poky-linux/linux-imx/4.9.88-r0/recipe-sysroot-native/usr/lib -Wl,-rpath,/home/droid/imx-yocto-bsp/build-xwayland/tmp/work/imx8mqevk-poky-linux/linux-imx/4.9.88-r0/recipe-sysroot-native/lib -Wl,-O1 HOSTCPP=gcc -E ARCH=arm64 zImage CC=aarch64-poky-linux-gcc -fuse-ld=bfd -ffile-prefix-map=/home/droid/imx-yocto-bsp/build-xwayland/tmp/work/imx8mqevk-poky-linux/linux-imx/4.9.88-r0/git=/kernel-source/ LD=aarch64-poky-linux-ld.bfd LOADADDR=20008000
| GEN ./Makefile
| scripts/kconfig/conf --silentoldconfig Kconfig
| make[2]: *** No rule to make target `zImage'. Stop.
| make[1]: *** [sub-make] Error 2
| make: *** [__sub-make] Error 2
| ERROR: oe_runmake failed
| WARNING: exit code 1 from a shell command.
| ERROR: Function failed: do_compile (log file is located at /home/droid/imx-yocto-bsp/build-xwayland/tmp/work/imx8mqevk-poky-linux/linux-imx/4.9.88-r0/temp/log.do_compile.7837)

how to build zImage for nfs use?

thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
gary_bisson
Senior Contributor III

Hi,

No, it isn't possible to build a zImage for ARM64 platforms (such as the i.MX8MQ).

That is because it was decided in Linux not to add zImage support, so there's no way around it.

An alternative is to compress the Image file (Image.gz) and then have the bootloader uncompress it before jumping into it.

Regards,

Gary

View solution in original post

2 Replies
gusarambula
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Kingplayer,

You would need to setup zImage as KERNEL_IMAGETYPE on the MACHINE configuration file for your board. The zImage is not defined for the i.MX8m which is why it’s prompting an error. I haven’t tried enabling it though, but it should be possible.

I hope this helps!
Regards,

0 Kudos
gary_bisson
Senior Contributor III

Hi,

No, it isn't possible to build a zImage for ARM64 platforms (such as the i.MX8MQ).

That is because it was decided in Linux not to add zImage support, so there's no way around it.

An alternative is to compress the Image file (Image.gz) and then have the bootloader uncompress it before jumping into it.

Regards,

Gary