cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yocto with 3.14 kernel for IMX6

Jump to solution
kravik
Contributor IV
I am building images for IMX6 Sabersd using Yocto. I need 3.14 kernel on the board, followed steps for building images using yocto.

#mkdir ~/bin (this step may not be needed if the bin folder already exists)

#curl http://commondatastorage.googleapis.com/git-repo-downloads/repo > ~/bin/repo

#chmod a+x ~/bin/repo

#export PATH=~/bin:$PATH

#mkdir fsl-release-bsp

#cd fsl-release-bsp

#repo init -u git://git.freescale.com/imx/fsl-arm-yocto-bsp.git -b imx-3.14.28-1.0.0_ga

#repo sync

#source setup-environment build

#bitbake core-image-minimal

But it is building 3.10 kernel. Can you guide me how to get 3.14 kernel uImage.

I thought using branch name as "imx-3.14.28-1.0.0_ga" during repo init will build the 3.14 kernel, because when I tried with the branch name as "imx-3.10.53-1.1.0_ga" using "repo init -u git://git.freescale.com/imx/fsl-arm-yocto-bsp.git -b imx-3.10.53-1.1.0_ga" command then it is building 3.10 kernel.

Note: I am using Ubuntu 12.04 for building, I got following warning, but didn't face any issues during build time.

WARNING: Host distribution "Ubuntu-12.04" has not been validated with this version of the build system; you may possibly experience unexpected failures. It is recommended that you use a tested distribution.

Labels (3)
1 Solution
danwei_luo
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Ravi,

If you need a 3.14 kernel, you can use this branch:

#repo init -u git://git.freescale.com/imx/fsl-arm-yocto-bsp.git -b imx-3.14.52-1.1.0_ga

This branch will contain fsl-setup-release.sh script. I just confirmed it, and it's working fine.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

9 Replies
kravik
Contributor IV

By using "imx-3.14.28-1.0.0_ga" branch during repo init, it is fetching 3.14.28 kernel. It seems I had used different branch during repo init, so it was fetching 3.10 Kernel.

0 Kudos
danwei_luo
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Good to know!

Thank you, Ravi

0 Kudos
danwei_luo
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Ravi,

If you need a 3.14 kernel, you can use this branch:

#repo init -u git://git.freescale.com/imx/fsl-arm-yocto-bsp.git -b imx-3.14.52-1.1.0_ga

This branch will contain fsl-setup-release.sh script. I just confirmed it, and it's working fine.

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

kravik
Contributor IV

With "imx-3.14.52-1.1.0_ga" branch it is fetching 3.14 Kernel. Can you please tell me where I can get the details about which branch is having configuration for which version of Kernel, U-boot, packages.

0 Kudos
danwei_luo
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Ravi,

If you want to check the versions, you can go to $your_yocto_dir/sources/meta-fsl-bsp-release/imx/meta-fsl-arm (this directory name is for branch imx-3.14.28_1.0.0_ga, for other branches, the name may be a little different)

In this directory, you can find the bitbake recipes for kernel, u-boot and all other packages. And the version settings are lying in those related .bb files.

By the way, from these .bb files, it seems imx-3.14.28_1.0.0_ga branch should build a 3.14.28 kernel. But I have never tried to build this version, so I'm not sure why you got a 3.10 kernel. However, since 3.14.52_1.1.0_ga is a more stable version, I think it's also better for you to use this version. :smileyhappy:

Best regards,

Danwei

kravik
Contributor IV

Thanks for the reply.
There is no script named as "fsl-setup-release.sh" in the yocto source. so the command "MACHINE=imx6qsabresd source fsl-setup-release.sh –b build-fb –e fb" is giving error.

Can you please confirm the repo initialization commands updated in my previous comment is proper.

0 Kudos
Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Looks like, Community BSP is used. Please try  NXP BSP Release,
which  are located in "meta-fsl-bsp-release" directory.

Regards,

Yuri.

0 Kudos
kravik
Contributor IV

Can you please tell me the difference between community BSP and NXP BSP. I could see both BSP releases are having IMX6 machine configurations.

0 Kudos
Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

Please try using full line as :

$ MACHINE=imx6qsabresd source fsl-setup-release.sh –b build-fb –e fb

instead of "#source setup-environment build"

Have a great day,
Yuri