Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yocto build reports hdd space shortage

Jump to solution
sreenivasa_chary
Contributor II

Hi All,

I recently installed Ubuntu 18.04 on my laptop, using VMPlayer15 virtual machine

I had initially allocated 64GB (out of 500GB)  of hard disk space and 8GB of RAM (out of the total available 16GB)

and started the build. 

I am building the Murata + Embedded Artists' CYW Wireless Lan drivers as instructed in their manual.

After the Murata script successfully modified the kernel build system to use their drivers, we are required to build the fsl image. During this process, the build stopped after completing 32%, saying the hard disk space monitor detected low space (0.5GB left).

So i  increased it to 128GB in the VMPlayer settings and resumed the build.

It stopped again, very quickly this time, with the same error report, with the disk monitor reporting only 0.4GB left), so i was surprised. 

I made the disk space settings in VMPlayer to 160GB this time, but no luck :-(.

Can anybody of the experts please help me overcome  this issue? 

I am running the whole process on a HP Pavilion Core i5 laptop. I have already sent three days on this with no success...

Regard

Chary BS

1 Solution
vani2
Contributor II

Yocto build system is very intensive in disk usage, for a standard fsl-image recipe you need almost 500GB to be comfy. Also if you are using a mechanical disk you will face gigantic processing time specially when deleting the whole project.

My advice if you are short on budget is to get your hands into some standard desktop ATX PC with at least 16GB RAM and a huge HDD, even if it is mechanical, and install Ubuntu native, not in VM. Processor is important, but you can wait for it to finish if it is less powerful. However, without enough disk the build will never succeed. 

Also if you just want the SDK, you can consider asking a follow or paying any folk for that.

best

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
vani2
Contributor II

Thanks Chary for your feedback!

All we have been noobs at first, just keep trying

0 Kudos
sreenivasa_chary
Contributor II

The issue is resolved. Now that i have moved to the dedicated desktop with the earlier mentioned specs, i am able to complete the builds, albeit still a little time consuming the first time only, i can live with it. Incremental builds are not a problem, they finish fast enough.

Thanks for hearing me out, David,  I fully appreciate your response.

cheers

Sreenivasa Chary

0 Kudos
vani2
Contributor II

Yocto build system is very intensive in disk usage, for a standard fsl-image recipe you need almost 500GB to be comfy. Also if you are using a mechanical disk you will face gigantic processing time specially when deleting the whole project.

My advice if you are short on budget is to get your hands into some standard desktop ATX PC with at least 16GB RAM and a huge HDD, even if it is mechanical, and install Ubuntu native, not in VM. Processor is important, but you can wait for it to finish if it is less powerful. However, without enough disk the build will never succeed. 

Also if you just want the SDK, you can consider asking a follow or paying any folk for that.

best

0 Kudos
sreenivasa_chary
Contributor II

Hello David !

Thanks for that clarification ! I do have a Ubuntu native desktop running on an Advantech AIMB-270 motherboard, with 12GB RAM and 500GB HDD (mechanical), and although the processor is a Core i3 Arrandale version, it gives a decent speed... 

I will try on that. 

I just need to check if I really need to build all those recipes included in the fsl image. I can just do with a simpler image that allows me to test the WLAN interfaces - I am building for the imx6ull14x14evk target machine. It doesn't have a video output, so the graphics and video related recipes like Wayland, and FB and Multimedia can be removed from the conf file.   

Regards

Chary BS

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
sreenivasa_chary
Contributor II

Attached the build process instruction manual from Murata...am following Section 3.

0 Kudos