When installing Windo10 on winPE, the 8MP CPU with 4G DDR system displays BSOD

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When installing Windo10 on winPE, the 8MP CPU with 4G DDR system displays BSOD

hankwang
Contributor IV

Hi, I have an 8MP with 2G DDR and displaying via HDMI.  The 8MP with 2G DDR can enters Windows 10 normally. I use the patch files provided by NXP FAE.

I also have the same hardware but just changed the 2G DDR to 4G DDR. When the winPE installation progress of windos10 is 1%, the system displays BSOD. Since the hardware is the same, only the DDR size changes. I think the DDR parameters of 4G are wrong.

So, can anyone provide 4G DDR parameters as attached.

My DDR is  MT53E1G32D2FW-046 WT:B.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies

michal_hromadka
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

@jakub_zigacek Jakub, can you help here ?

0 Kudos

Rita_Wang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

As your DDR change, so you need to use the RPA tool to set it and do the stress test, details you can refer to https://community.nxp.com/t5/i-MX-Processors-Knowledge-Base/i-MX-8M-Family-DDR-Tool-Release/ta-p/110...

• DDR Register Programming Aid (RPA)
  • MSCALE DDR Tool
0 Kudos

hankwang
Contributor IV

Thanks for your advice.

We can already get into yocto with 4G DDR. So the DDR parameters are fine.

I moved the LPDDR parameters from yocto's uboot to windows' uboot. I think the problem is with UEFI DDR parameters and other parameters (GPU or other).  I am not good with UEFI on ARM. Maybe NXP can give me some advice how to do.

0 Kudos

jakub_zigacek
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi @hankwang,

here is a patch containing changes needed to run 8MP EVK with 4GB DDR, except the LPDDR4 timing file, for BSP-1.4.1. As you probably have more changes due to your customer design, you can apply them by hand, there are only 3 number changed in two file.

To be sure that your timing file is used during build, please remove all other timing files from folder.

The 2GB patch needs more changes at GPU Reserved memory and Trust zone memory needs to be moved below 2GB. But for 4GB it can stay where it is for EVK with 6GB, as it sits before the end of 3rd gigabyte. GPU can only address 4GB (32bit address) and because of that it cannot be allocated on higher addresses.

# +-------------------+===> (0xF2000000) PcdArmGPUReservedMemoryBase
  # | GPU Reserved      |  ^
  # | Memory            |  |  (0x0C000000) PcdArmGPUReservedMemorySize
  # |                   |  v
  # +-------------------+===> (0xFE000000) PcdTrustZonePrivateMemoryBase (OPTEE image base address)
  # | TZ Private Memory |  ^
  # | (OPTEE)           |  |  (0x01E00000) PcdTrustZonePrivateMemorySize 30MB
  # +-------------------+===> (0xFFE00000) PcdTrustZoneSharedMemoryBase (includes mobj bookkeeping page)
  # | TZ Shared Memory  |  ^
  # |                   |  |  (0x00200000) PcdTrustZoneSharedMemorySize 2MB
  # +-------------------|===>

Best Regards, Jakub

hankwang
Contributor IV

Hi @jakub_zigacek, thank you for providing the details. I tried using the patch for W1.4.1. But I still get BSOD.

I'm trying to set up Windbg to analyze BSOD.

0 Kudos

jakub_zigacek
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi @hankwang,

I am sorry that you are still struggling. One way to rule out memory issue with new design could be test of memory from EFI environment with Memtest86. If Memetest86 will show correct memory size and detect no errors, than Win PE should also have memory set correctly and problem will be in something different.

https://community.nxp.com/t5/i-MX-Processors/Cannot-boot-into-WinPe-for-Windows-10-IoT/m-p/1717890/h...

Best Regards, Jakub

0 Kudos