We would like to change the output voltages of the MMPF0100 using I2C and there is Ambiguity regarding

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We would like to change the output voltages of the MMPF0100 using I2C and there is Ambiguity regarding

Jump to solution
sanjayanand
Contributor II

In the pre-Programmed F3 version if the VDDOTP pin is connected to ground so the MMPF0100 powers on with the predefined voltages and we wanted to change some of the voltages to our requirement on the custom board in the bootloader of IMX6 quad .
We are not able to understand as to when exactly will the output voltages change after the I2C programming.
-Will the Changes through the I2C programming reflect Immediately ?? or

- should we reset the the MMPF0100 using the PWRON pin??

One more Question on the same line

According to the datasheet of the MMPF0100  if we get a Non -Programmed part and connect VDDOTP pin to GND it wont start up.

So when we do I2c Programming for this when will the output change? (this is of critical importance because we want proper out put sequencing as we are planning to use this to power up FPGA.)

Thank you for your Time and Effort

Regards,

Sanjay Anand

Labels (2)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
sanjayanand
Contributor II

We found out the answer
Thank You igorpadykov and freescale team

Q1. We are not sure when the voltage change will reflect according to the new programmed voltages.

What the software flow for the changed voltages to reflect at PMIC output?

A1. a) For switching regulators, once a new target voltage value is programmed to correspnding register through I2C, the corresponding switching regulator output starts to transition to a new target voltage in voltage and time steps, shown in the Tables 34 and 35 of the MMPF0100 Data Sheet Rev.9 document, available on the Freescale web site:

http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=MMPF0100&nodeId=0143597440F744&fpsp=1...

b) For linear regulators, typical transition time is 1us to 10us depending on target voltage selected and actual load current. It also starts transitioning once being programmed.

Q2. In case of non programmed device , when we connect VDD OTP pin to ground we assume that MMPF will not give any output voltage even if PWR ON is asserted.

A2. Yes, you are correct.

Q3. also we would like to know the software flow for I2C programming in this case.

A3. There are two possible flows.

a) You can use the flow, described above. In that case, each regulator will start transitioning to its target voltage, once being programmed.

b) You can de-assert the PWRON signal, then program the complete configuration to MMPF, including desired power-up sequence, then assert the PWRON signal. The output voltages will start transitioning to programmed target values according to programmed power-on sequence, as described in the Section 6.1 "Start-up" of the document, mentioned above.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Sanjay

one can try TBB mode described in

sect.2.3 Try-Before-Buy Mode Example AN4536

AN4536, MMPF0100 OTP Programming Instructions - Application Note

Best regards

igor

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos
sanjayanand
Contributor II

Hi igorpadykov

Thank You for the quick reply.
We know that we can write into the TBB registers using I2C

Let us consider a case where the initial value of the regulator (assume SW4) is 1.2 V and i want to change it to 1.8 V so i write

into the SW4[5:0] register the new voltage value. we are not clear about when the out put voltage will change and reflect the new value?
(will it change immediately or does it require a turn on event on PWRON pin and if the turn on event is required can we use the OTP_LOAD_MASK registers given in Table 30 of AN4536 to simulate a turn on event so the output voltage of the Regulator changes)

Thnak you for your valuable time and effort

Regards,

Sanjay

0 Kudos
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Sanjay

If PMIC is powered up, then writing to SW4[5:0] register the new voltage

value,

it will change immediately.

~igor

sanjayanand
Contributor II

Hi Guys,

I know this thread was closed but wanted confirmation regarding the TBBOTP pins.

After power on in a pre-programmed device should we change the value of the value of OTP SW2VOLT register at address 0xAC rather than SW2VOLT at address 0x35(which becomes read only in normal operation mode) to get the value output voltage of SW2 to change immediately?

Any help is appreciated.

Ps: sorry for reopening the thread-just wanted a confirmation.

Thank you

Regards,

Sanjay

0 Kudos
sanjayanand
Contributor II

Hi igorpadykov,

Thank You for your Quick Response .It really helps,

Can you please help me with one more thing ?

Can we program the PMIC when it is in off state? that is PWRON is low but VIN is valid >3.1. This is required because we are using it to power on a FPGA and we want the sequence and voltages to come up once the programming is done and not immediately be reflected.

Thank You,

Regards,

Sanjay Anand

0 Kudos
sanjayanand
Contributor II

We found out the answer
Thank You igorpadykov and freescale team

Q1. We are not sure when the voltage change will reflect according to the new programmed voltages.

What the software flow for the changed voltages to reflect at PMIC output?

A1. a) For switching regulators, once a new target voltage value is programmed to correspnding register through I2C, the corresponding switching regulator output starts to transition to a new target voltage in voltage and time steps, shown in the Tables 34 and 35 of the MMPF0100 Data Sheet Rev.9 document, available on the Freescale web site:

http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=MMPF0100&nodeId=0143597440F744&fpsp=1...

b) For linear regulators, typical transition time is 1us to 10us depending on target voltage selected and actual load current. It also starts transitioning once being programmed.

Q2. In case of non programmed device , when we connect VDD OTP pin to ground we assume that MMPF will not give any output voltage even if PWR ON is asserted.

A2. Yes, you are correct.

Q3. also we would like to know the software flow for I2C programming in this case.

A3. There are two possible flows.

a) You can use the flow, described above. In that case, each regulator will start transitioning to its target voltage, once being programmed.

b) You can de-assert the PWRON signal, then program the complete configuration to MMPF, including desired power-up sequence, then assert the PWRON signal. The output voltages will start transitioning to programmed target values according to programmed power-on sequence, as described in the Section 6.1 "Start-up" of the document, mentioned above.

0 Kudos