Power optimisation in imx8mp

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Power optimisation in imx8mp

karthicknarayanan
Contributor I

I am trying to do power optimisation in imx8mp processor, its application is to capture data from camera sensor and displaying it. I tried it with changing CPU frequency governors by following 

How to reduce the CPU Frequency on iMX8M 

observed different results in power like

• 3.8W in default frequency governor (Frequency 1.6 Ghz) with no compromise on performance
  •  3.45W to 3.65W with other frequencies ranging from (100Mhz - 1.2Ghz) but experiencing frame drops while capturing data.
  • I need optimal power consumption around 3W.

I am looking for possibilities in by adjusting ddr frequency and disabling any one of the 4 CPUs,but still cannot find proper method of doing it.

And my question is

Will reducing CPU frequency or DDR frequency or disabling CPU core results in similar observation which I have mentioned above with compromise on performance ?

And using VPU instead of using CPU to capture frames will result in better performance and power consumption ?

0 Kudos
1 Reply

Zhiming_Liu
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @karthicknarayanan 

Please refer the AN13054 i.MX 8M Plus Power Consumption Measurement.

Zhiming_Liu_0-1717035853794.png

Will reducing CPU frequency or DDR frequency or disabling CPU core results in similar observation which I have mentioned above with compromise on performance ?

-->Of course, 

And using VPU instead of using CPU to capture frames will result in better performance and power consumption ?

-->VPU is used for decode or encode, not read frame.

0 Kudos