Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NAND boot imx6 SDK

Jump to solution
ao1
Contributor II

Dear all,

Is it possible to use  obds.bin file from the SDK and boot it from NAND?

I have tried: kobs-ng init -v obds.bin but don't get anywhere. I can boot

from NAND with my u-boot.imx image, but not the obds.bin. For an u-boot.imx

the u-boot adds the dcd header and other stuff. Obds.bin contains its IVT header too,

so it should't be a problem.

Does anyone have tried to boot obds.bin from NAND?

Thank you

Andreas

0 Kudos
1 Solution
art
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

The boot memory layout for SD/MMC boot and NAND Flash boot is completely different on i.MX6 series processors, so, it is not possible to directly use the binary image, built for SD/MMC boot, to boot from NAND Flash. Seems that the i.MX6 SDK doesn't contain a tool to build a binary image for NAND Flash boot. For more information on various boot memory layouts for various boot media devices of i.MX6Dual/Quad processors, please refer to the Chapter 8 "System Boot" of the i.MX6Dual/Quad Reference Manual (IMX6DQRM) Rev.2 document, available on the Freescale web site:

http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=i.MX6Q&fpsp=1&tab=Documentation_Tab

Especially, please refer to the Sections 8.5.2 "NAND Flash" and 8.5.3 "Expansion Device".

Have a great day,
Artur

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
art
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

The boot memory layout for SD/MMC boot and NAND Flash boot is completely different on i.MX6 series processors, so, it is not possible to directly use the binary image, built for SD/MMC boot, to boot from NAND Flash. Seems that the i.MX6 SDK doesn't contain a tool to build a binary image for NAND Flash boot. For more information on various boot memory layouts for various boot media devices of i.MX6Dual/Quad processors, please refer to the Chapter 8 "System Boot" of the i.MX6Dual/Quad Reference Manual (IMX6DQRM) Rev.2 document, available on the Freescale web site:

http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=i.MX6Q&fpsp=1&tab=Documentation_Tab

Especially, please refer to the Sections 8.5.2 "NAND Flash" and 8.5.3 "Expansion Device".

Have a great day,
Artur

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos