cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple OS support on IMX8 and IMX8X Family without using Hypervisor

masood_ahamed
Contributor I

Hi,

Could you please let us know if following are possible.

1.  Running Multiple Linux OS instances in specific cortex A35 cores of IMX8QXP platform without using hypervisor.
  2. Running a Linux OS instance on Cortex A53 cores and another LInux OS instance in cortex A72  cores of IMX8 Quad Max platform without using hypervisor.
  3. Running a single Linux OS instance on both A72 and A53 cores of IMX8 Quad Max simultaneously.

For the cases 1 and 2, we have understanding that, these use cases may be possible because of the resource partitioning implementation listed below.

1. The system controller(SCU) commits peripherals and memory regions into a specific domains.
  2. Any communication between domains are forced to use messaging protocols through Messaging Units.
  3. If a domain peripheral tries to access other domains illegally, a bus error will occur.

Reference : https://www.nxp.com.cn/docs/en/training-reference-material/WINNING-WITH-I.MX-8-AND-I.MX-8X-APPLICATI...

So we have a feeling that these domains may be used for hosting different OS instances by using the resource partitioning feature without using the hypervisor.

The intention is to provide isolation and to avoid the overhead using the hypervisor software.

Could you please give any information on the above points?.

0 Kudos
5 Replies

Brianmdefoe
Contributor I

Is it possible to run a Linux and Windows OS simultaneously, or just two Linux OS's?

0 Kudos

gpennella_sysgo
Contributor II

Hi

The intention is to provide isolation and to avoid the overhead using the hypervisor software. -> Actually if the HyperVisor uses, like PikeOS, HW VIRT acceleration of ARMv8, the delta between the presence of the HyperVisor in case of SMP is circa 2% overhead (depends on specific cases ... this is the average). So with such low "price" you can benefit of a very strong capabilities provided by such system.

G. Pennella

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi masood_ahamed

I believe all cases 1,2,3 are possible however nxp supports only options using

hypervisor. Description can be found in Chapter 12 Virtualization  i.MX Linux User’s Guide​

Best regards
igor

masood_ahamed
Contributor I

Hi,

Thanks for the support.

I have also another query.

Is Jailhouse hypervisor supported in IMX8X Family(IMX8QXP)?.

If not, will it be supported in future?.

Regards,

Masood

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Masood

>Is Jailhouse hypervisor supported in IMX8X Family(IMX8QXP)?

yes.

Best regards
igor

0 Kudos