cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Marvel 8797 Wifi module using SDIO 3.0

jtobias
Contributor III

Hi All,

I have a Wifi module based on 8797 Marvell chipset and it using SDIO 3.0. The sdio controller (drivers/mmc/core/sdio.c) switched the speed to 4bit mode since the 8797 supports it.

The problem right now, the host controller and the 8797 couldn't communicate to each other correctly, if the speed is set to 4bit mode. Then, if I set it to a 1bit mode, the two can communicate correctly. Also, I tried the SDHCI controller to use the ADMA then SDMA, but both of them are no effect.

I would like to know if anyone have resolved the issue or anyone has idea how to fix it?

Regards,

John

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
9 Replies

jtobias
Contributor III

Just to follow on my question: I used the Marvell module on pandaboard ES using kernel 3.4.0-1490-omap4, it works on pandaboard using a 4bit mode.

Not sure right now why it's not working on iMX6 SD board.

Regards,

john

0 Kudos

fabio_estevam
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Can you please post your patch here so that we can look at it?

0 Kudos

jtobias
Contributor III

Hi Fabio,

I did not make any modification to the kernel. The other testing that I've made is to use the same kernel (3.9 stable released) to boot the pandaboard. When, I boot it with same kernel the wifi works...

Also, I have to apply this patch (http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-mmc/msg19905.html)

0 Kudos

jtobias
Contributor III

Hello Guys,

I would like to inform you that the 4bit mode is working now. On my device tree (imx6q-sabresd.dts), I just disabled the cd-gpios.

&usdhc2 {

pinctrl-names = "default";

pinctrl-0 = <&pinctrl_usdhc2_1>;

/*cd-gpios = <&gpio2 2 0>;*/

wp-gpios = <&gpio2 3 0>;

status = "okay";

};

The thing that I've noticed between 1bit vs 4bit mode is that loading the firmware on 1bit mode is too fast <2 sec (upon inserting the module), it will show the firmware is loaded "mwifiex_sdio mmc0:0001:1: driver_version = mwifiex 1.0 (14.66.11.p151)". When, running a 4bit mode, it took almost 30secs to load the firmware.

I am expecting 4bit mode is faster than 1bit mode and I am not sure why it taking so long...

any other idea?.

Regards,

John

Regards,

John

0 Kudos

krishnanp
Contributor III

Hello John,

I am also using a marvell  8787 based Wi-Fi module on sabrelite board. The  Wi-Fi module is connected on UDHC3 port. But immediately after the firmware download it fails to read the interrupt status register. I am using 3.12 kernel which I have verified  all patches are up to date. Below is the console  prints when I insert the Wi-Fi module.

mmc0: new high speed SDIO card at address 0001

mwifiex_sdio mmc0:0001:1: WLAN FW is active

ieee80211 phy2: ignoring F/W country code US

mwifiex_sdio mmc0:0001:1: driver_version = mwifiex 1.0 (14.66.9.p96)

mwifiex_sdio mmc0:0001:1: read mp_regs failed

Did you phase the same problem while bringing up the Wi-Fi module ?

Appreciate your pointers...

regards

Krishnan

0 Kudos

jtobias
Contributor III

Hi Krishnan,

I did not encounter that error. But, you may try to set the bus-width to 1 bit mode in your .dts file (usdhc3 declaration). You may also test your 8797 eval board in different embedded board like pandaboard just to make sure your 8797 is fully functional.

Regards,

john

0 Kudos

YixingKong
Senior Contributor IV

John

This discussion is closed since no activity. If you still need help, please feel free to reply with an update to this

discussion, or create another discussion.
Thanks,
Yixing

0 Kudos

YixingKong
Senior Contributor IV

John

Had your issue got resolved? If yes, we are going to close the discussion in 3 days. If you still need help please feel

free to contact Freescale.

Thanks,
Yixing

0 Kudos

drzhf9
Contributor I

just guess your bsp need to modify to support it, including the source code of board device and host controll.

0 Kudos