Is there support for MIPI DSI in later linux kernels that use drm/kms?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there support for MIPI DSI in later linux kernels that use drm/kms?

je1006
Contributor I

We have an imx6dl device with a MIPI DSI attached screen that works with linux-3.14, using the legacy /dev/fb architecture.  We are trying to update the device to use linux-4.14 (from kernel.org) so that we can leverage drm/kms for driving the display.  We have other imx6dl based products working with the new kernel but they use the parallel-display, ldb, and hdmi encoders.  Unfortunately, though, there does not seem to be any support for a MIPI DSI encoder.  I've seen various references to different patches created by Liu Ying at Freescale that adds support, but I have been unable to locate any kernel branch that actually contains it.  Is anyone aware if such a driver exists?  Has anyone had success using MIPI DSI in drm/kms?

0 Kudos
5 Replies

gpaulino
Contributor I

Hi Jeff and Igor,
I am facing the same issue, since I am working with imx8mm-evk, and trying to support MIPI DSI in drm driver.
Do you guys have any update about it? Did you succeed on this?

0 Kudos

je1006
Contributor I

Thank you for the reply.  Unfortunately, the mipi dsi support in the BSP is only for the old legacy /dev/fb architecture and not for the current drm/kms architecture.  According to the [PATCH RFC v2 00/14] Add support for i.MX MIPI DSI DRM driver link, work was done for supporting it in drm/kms, but I don't see it in the kernel.org sources.  Is such support available somewhere?

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

had you checked linux-imx.git - i.MX Linux Kernel 

there are i.mx several kernels, briefly described on

[meta-freescale] Issue with freescale git server at git.freescale.com 

~igor

0 Kudos

je1006
Contributor I

The fork you pointed me to only supports mipi dsi on the /dev/fb architecture.  Obviously work has been done for supporting the ipu on the drm/kms architecture (as it seems to work flawlessly for every encoder but mipi dsi).  Has NXP been involved in this effort?  Do you have any idea on what became of the work done by  Ying.Liu at freescale.com for the mipi dsi drm driver?

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Jeff

mipi dsi is supported in nxp linux releases described on

http://www.nxp.com/products/software-and-tools/software-development-tools/i.mx-software-and-tools/i....

please check Linux Manual in documentation package

https://www.nxp.com/webapp/Download?colCode=L4.9.11_1.0.0_LINUX_DOCS 

Best regards
igor
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos