Is there any infomation on software I / F to use I.MX7D SDMA script?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there any infomation on software I / F to use I.MX7D SDMA script?

hyuuma_sakamoto
Contributor II

Information on software I/F to use SDMA ROM script is not found
in "I.MX 7 Dual Applications Processor Reference Manual, Rev. 1, 01/2018"(IMX7DRM.pdf)
Specifically, there is "There is a description in Appendix A" as below,
but in practice the following chapter does not exist.
7.2.4.7 Software Interface Appendix A fully describes the SDMA Application Programming Interface (API).

I also checked the community but I can't find any official materials
The sample code Imx-sdma.c and sdma-imx7d.bin cannot be diverted and must be created by yourself.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
2 Replies

ceggers1
Contributor IV

You can find Appendix A in IMX6DQRM.pdf. This material should also be valid for i.MX7. An introduction into SDMA programming you can find here Freescale i.MX SDMA tutorial (part I)  and here Jonah's Blog by skrap.

If you want to start you own SDMA development, you should know:

• NXP don't give (free) support for creating / debugging own SDMA scripts.
  • NXP don't provide any development tools for SDMA ("CodeWarrior for Starcore and SDMA" seems to be outdated. I don't know what tools NXP uses internally.)
  • Eli Billauers Assembler should work for basic projects, but missed advanced features like a linker or support for debug information. Being not able to debug your scripts may involve a serious risk for you project.
  • I'm currently working on a port of GNU binutils (nearly finished).
  • I have also created a SDMA plugin for Lauterbach Trace32 ICD. This plugin provides all important features you may know from other debuggers like single stepping, breakpoints, register manipulation, ...

If you have further questions about the SDMA hardware, using the ROM scripts or about my development tools, feel free to ask. Probably you should provide some information about what you want to achieve using the SDMA.

regards

Christian

hyuuma_sakamoto
Contributor II
Thank you for your reply.
I will try to understand Appendix A of the I.MX6D Reference Manual.
0 Kudos