Installing/running Android Things application on i.MX6UL extremely slow

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing/running Android Things application on i.MX6UL extremely slow

ryancrist
Contributor I

We are experiencing extremely long installation/start/run times for Android Things applications on the NXP PICO-PI-IMX6UL.  Trying to install/run using Android Studio typically times out or fails.  So far, the only successful method that works is to build the APK separately in Android Studio and then installing/starting via adb on the command line (note that this is still extremely slow).

A small application of 2.3MB in size takes anywhere from 200-500 seconds to install!  The same application on the Intel Edison only takes about 6 seconds to install.

It's worth noting that other adb operations seem to run very slowly as well (i.e. shell, logcat, etc.).

We have closely followed the procedures outlined using these resources to install the Android Things image:

http://www.nxp.com/docs/en/quick-reference-guide/PICO-iMX6UL-QSG.pdf 

NXP i.MX6UL | Android Things 

We have re-flashed the Android Things image several times and experience the same issues.  

To rule out any application issues, we have tried installing/running the Android Things sample template application found here: GitHub - androidthings/new-project-template and experience the same issues.  We can verify that this application installs/runs without issue on an Intel Edison board running Android Things 4.1.

Here are a few more details about our setup:

Host:

Mac OS 10.12.5

Android Studio version 2.3.3

Android Debug Bridge version 1.0.39

i.MX6UL:

Android Things Developer Preview Image 4.1 (SHA-1: 08c62cb2fc5a9c7b1d676677184122ecca3d950c) from here: System Image Downloads | Android Things 

Any suggestions on what is wrong with our setup or what might be causing these latency issues?

Thanks!

Labels (2)
3 Replies

ekalyvio
Contributor II

Hello.

I do have the exact same problem.

The iMX6UL seems totally useless in running under Android Things.

Thanks

Efthymios

0 Kudos

ry123
Contributor I

Hi Ryan,

I too am facing the same issue with this board. A 1.4MB APK file is taking 12 minutes to install using gradlew.

My system is also a Mac OS, and I am using the PICO-PI-IMX6UL with Android Things developer preview 4.1.

Were you able to figure out what is causing this?

Thanks!

Ran

0 Kudos

CarlosCasillas
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Ryan,

Although mentioned boards are NXP i.MX based, in case of using Android Things the support is provided by the board manufacturer for hardware-related issues, and directly by Google regarding the software.

Hope this will be useful for you.

Best regards!

/Carlos

0 Kudos