How to Port freescale BSP kernel patches to Linus Tree and is this really required ?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Port freescale BSP kernel patches to Linus Tree and is this really required ?

sanjeevsharma
Contributor IV

Hello All,

I wanted to understand how close is Freescale BSP kernel to Linus mainline kernel.Dow we need to really port all the free-scale BSP kernel release version patches/Bug fixes starting from imx_3.5.7_1.0.0_alpha  imx_3.10.17_1.0.0_beta,imx_3.10.17_1.0.0_ga can be found here linux-2.6-imx.git - Freescale i.MX Linux Tree  to mainline kernel version. For example I would like to select the Kernel 3.14 or 3.18 from mainline and wanted to run on sabre-lite reference Board.I know mainline kernel will work on sabre-lite reference board out of the box. but I am not sure whether all the Free-scale BSP patched/bug fixes already included in mainline kernel if not, then I am sure that we would need to port the change to mainline kernel.

I would be very thankful if someone help me out and confirm my understanding.

Regards

San

Labels (4)
12 Replies

jackybai
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

hi sanjeev,

The mainline kernel does not include all the patches and bug-fix.  you can get the latest released kernel from linux-2.6-imx.git - Freescale i.MX Linux Tree.

Best regards,

Jacky Bai

0 Kudos

sanjeevsharma
Contributor IV

Thanks igor, Jacky,

Yes i.e the major challenge because no one in community Maintaining Free-scale patches that can be sync with mainline kernel release version's.I have to go through the Free-scale Bsp releases one by one and then come up with some intelligent script which identify the patches which are not in mainline kernel and then cherry-pick one by one over mainline kernel. I thought, there would be some repository specific to Free-scale feature/Bug fixes that can be merged into mainline Kernel straightforward  but I doubt someone is taking care of this at moment except Solid run Folks,Earlier Free-scale landing team used to do this but had been disbanded a while ago.

Look's like I have to take this initiative so that it can help people in future.

Regards

Sanjeev 

0 Kudos

fabio_estevam
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Sanjeev,

Yes, patches to mainline kernel are always welcome :-)

Any particular topic that you are planning to work on?

Regards,

Fabio Estevam

sanjeevsharma
Contributor IV

Hello Fabio,

My intention is to port all the Free-scale BSP patches till now on to mainline Linux stable kernel 3.14. Do you sent Free-scale approved patches to mainline from BSP releases ?

If my understanding is correct then how you are deciding ?

Regards

Sanjeev

0 Kudos

fabio_estevam
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Sanjeev,

I do some kernel contributions when time allows.

Feel free to do the same if you are interested ;-)

Regards,

Fabio Estevam

sanjeevsharma
Contributor IV

Hello Fabio,

Look's like you validate all the latest Free-scale patches from BSP release which can be made to Mainline Kernel ?

Regards

Sanjeev Sharma

0 Kudos

fabio_estevam
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Sanjeev,

No, not really. Basically anyone can contribute patches to mainline.

Looking forward for your patches ;-)

Regards,

Fabio Estevam

0 Kudos

sinanakman
Senior Contributor III

Hi Sanjeev

Nice to hear your intention to sync those up.

In my opinion, it would be a lot more useful if

all those fixes were sent upstream to mainline

instead of keeping in a separate tree all the time.

I think we are all much better off working directly

with the mainline tree all the time.

If you are going to get a list of non-mainlined FSL

patches and maintain them separately, wouldn't

it be much better to send them upstream.

Either way thanks for taking time for this.

Regards

Sinan Akman

0 Kudos

sanjeevsharma
Contributor IV

Hello Sinan,

I understand your concern and 2nd your suggestion too but this need to be decide by Free-scale. Activity you are referring already being taken care by shawnguo who earlier worked for FSL but I believe is now working at Linaro.He is one of the upstream maintainers for free scale patches but I still don't understand why this activity is slow.AFAIK, still there are around 1000-2000 patch which is not yet made into mainline.

Regards

Sanjeev

sinanakman
Senior Contributor III

Hi Sanjeev, thanks for your follow up on this.

I wonder if you had a mechanism to come up with that number of delta patches

and if this could be something to list them out. I think something like this would

be very useful to track them.

As you mentioned Shawn is custodian for mainline imx-tree. Fabio also sends

bunch of patches. Perhaps we can get his attention and to see what he thinks :

FabioEstevam would you like to chime in ?

Regards

Sinan Akman

0 Kudos

sanjeevsharma
Contributor IV

Hello Sinan,

Yes, we could easily identify the delta patches by using script which will list down all the patches not present in Linux-stable kernel(I am targeting 3.14) by comparing linux-imx and linux-stable git tree's.

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi sanjeev

I believe you can get most accurate answer on

meta-fsl-arm mailing list, where experts are working with

various boards and mainline kernel.

https://lists.yoctoproject.org/listinfo/meta-freescale

Best regards

igor

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos