cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hard fault when using SDRAM SDKs for the RT1170

TM_MI
Contributor III

Hello,

I am trying to modify the SDK example to use one SDRAM instead of two available on board.

I modified the memory settings and the DCD file. I tried multiple configurations but I always end up with a fault.

How can I run a lVGL example using one SDRAM?

Thanks,

Tarek

TM_MI_0-1678218101884.png

0 Kudos
9 Replies

myee_
Contributor II

Hi @TM_MI , 

Were you ever able to find a solution to this problem? I seem to be having the same issues that started when using MIPI examples. 

Thanks!!

0 Kudos

TM_MI
Contributor III

Hello,

We ended up changing the hardware, but no we couldn't solve the issue.

Let us know if you were able to solve it in the future.

Regards

0 Kudos

RaRo
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello @TM_MI,

Have you tried the example without changes? Is the same issue happening?

Just for double check, could you please take a look at the readme requirements of the example and compare them with what you have before debugging?

Finally, what are you modifying of the memory settings and the DCD file?

Best regards, Raul.

0 Kudos

TM_MI
Contributor III

Hello @RaRo,

All SDKs work on the EVK Board.

All SDKs work on our custom boards with exceptions to MIPI and LVGL Examples. This is likely because our board has only one SDRAM. By changing some configurations, we get a Hardfault or the program will simply not run/flash or halt on the first instruction. We tried serial, QSPI Flash and Mcubootutility.

See this post for configurations we are trying to change. I am working on the same issue posted by my colleague to find the issue on these boards.

https://community.nxp.com/t5/i-MX-Processors/SDRAM-as-primary-RAM-on-custom-board-hard-faults/m-p/15...

As the hardware is nearly identical, it looks like it is related to memory configurations or booting process.

Thanks,

Tarek

0 Kudos

RaRo
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello @TM_MI,

Just for double check, are you connecting the LCD display before running the LVGL and MIPI examples? Could you please check if the LCD display that you are using is the one you choose in board -> display_support.h?

RaulRomero_0-1678827574013.png

[MCUXpresso IDE v11.7 -> lvgl_demo_widgets_cm7 -> board -> display_support.h]

Which boot mode configuration are you using? Could you please try with these two boot modes?

RaulRomero_1-1678827574018.png

[MIMXRT1170 EVK Board Hardware User's Guide. Section 2.2 Boot mode configurations]

Which SDK, version and MCUXpresso IDE version are you using? Could you please try it out with a different computer or MCUXpresso IDE version?

Finally, you could do the tests with lvgl_guider rather than the lvgl_demo_widgets examples?

Best regards, Raul.

0 Kudos

TM_MI
Contributor III

Hello @RaRo ,

We are using the default Rocktech screen. We also used another screen with our display driver files that we know it work, but the issue is that we are unable to flash because of the hardfault. We tried all the configurations mentioned in the previous post. We used different Mcuxpresso versions and different LVGL/MIPI examples. We used OZONE by Segger and we got the same hardfualt.

What can produce this type of error? can it be a hardware issue that is specific to lvgl or examples that uses SDRAM. Did we need to change something else in memory settings?

I also want to mention that we use JLINK Plus for debugg.

Thanks

0 Kudos

RaRo
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello @TM_MI,

About what can produce the error? It could be related with the SDRAM configuration (hardware or software) for LVGL not to work as expected.

Looking at the IMXRT1170 Reference Manual, there are steps related with the SDRAM that might be good to check with your code:

RaulRomero_0-1679421148234.png

[IMXRT1170RM Chapter 29. Smart External Memory Controller (SEMC)]

Have you done any software changes to use your SDRAM or have you run the examples exactly as they are? If you made changes, what did you change?

Also, have you tried the code changes that this community post suggests? If so, what were your results?

Finally, just for double check, are you using the same SDRAM chip and hardware as the community post? If not, could you please share your hardware modifications?

Best regards, Raul.

0 Kudos

TM_MI
Contributor III

Hello @RaRo,

The community post attached is exactly what we are working on. It was posted by a colleague who was working on the same boards. The hardware and the changes made are what is mentioned in the attached post.

I was hoping we can get an idea on this type of errors to see if the issue is related to the booting process but It is strange that only specific examples don't work.

Thank you,

0 Kudos

RaRo
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport
0 Kudos