cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flutter performance on IMX8ULP

darko311
Contributor II

Hello,

I'm working on evaluating Flutter on IMX8ULP-EVK board with the rk055hdmipi4mv2 display attached to it.

I followed this guide https://community.nxp.com/t5/i-MX-Processors-Knowledge-Base/Flutter-SDK-installation-for-Linux-Deskt...

and ran Flutter hello world app and also flutter-gallery app.

In both cases, the apps look very stuttery and CPU usage is very high (around 90% on both cores) while pressing the plus button in hello world or scrolling continuously in flutter-gallery.

I tried the same thing on a HDMI output (although for some reason, the max resoultion was limited to 720x480) and with a keyboard and mouse and the results are very similar.

I also ran the flutter-gallery with flutter-pi and ivi-homescreen and although CPU usage is lower, the app still looks very laggy while testing it.

Is there anything else to check for to make sure that all the HW acceleration and/or relevant GPU libs are enabled or Flutter is simply a bit too much for the IMX8ULP?

I ran the Gopoint/NXP demo experience from the imx-image-full and although there's still some CPU usage (around 20-30%) it looks much smoother on the screen.

What are the recommended GUI libraries for IMX8ULP?

Thank you! 

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

brian14
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @darko311

Thank you for contacting NXP Support.

Based on the information from i.MX Graphics User's Guide there is an important difference between the performance of the GPU for i.MX8ULP and the GPU for i.MX8MPlus.
In this case, we can expect a low performance for i.MX8ULP regarding graphics in desktop image.
I suggest you use QT libraries to create your GUI. Qt 6 - The latest version of Qt

Have a great day!

darko311
Contributor II

Hello brian14,

thank you for the suggestion, we'll try it out.

What would be the minimum recommended NXP SoC family to run Flutter?

From a quick look, IMX8M Mini and Nano have more powerful GPUs than IMX8ULP but I'm not sure if it's enough for smooth Flutter experience.

IMX8M or IMX8M Plus look like a go to choice.

0 Kudos

brian14
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @darko311

Yes, for Flutter the i.MX8M Plus could be a great option.

Have a great day!

0 Kudos