Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exposing IMX8MQ UART3 CTS line as a GPIO

Jump to solution
pradeep2481
Contributor II

Hi,

I want to make the UART3 CTS line as a GPIO so that the CTS line can be controlled using the GPIO.

I have gone through the device tree file but did not get enough information to do the changes.

Can you please help me in this?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Pradeep

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
jimmychan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,

MX8MQ_IOMUXC_ECSPI1_MISO_UART3_DCE_CTS_B 0x49

ECSPI1_MISO is the real pin on the chip. (this is ball B4, you can check the pin assignments in the datasheet for details).

UART3_DCE_CTS_B is one of the IOMUX functions of the pin ECSPI1_MISO. The details can be found in the Reference Manual Chapter 8.2.5.123 SW_MUX_CTL_PAD_ECSPI1_MISO SW MUX Control Register (IOMUXC_SW_MUX_CTL_PAD_ECSPI1_MISO)

0x49 is the PAD Control setting of the pin such as Pull-up enable, Slew rate. The details can be found in the Reference Manual Chapter 8.2.5.277 SW_PAD_CTL_PAD_ECSPI1_MISO SW PAD Control Register (IOMUXC_SW_PAD_CTL_PAD_ECSPI1_MISO)

Basically, you can search the pin ECSPI1_MISO in the imx8mq-pinfunc.h. Then you will find the GPIO function for the ECSPI1_MISO is MX8MQ_IOMUXC_ECSPI1_MISO_GPIO5_IO8.

So in the device tree file, you can modify like this:

pinctrl_uart3: uart3grp {
fsl,pins = <
                MX8MQ_IOMUXC_UART3_TXD_UART3_DCE_TX 0x49
                MX8MQ_IOMUXC_UART3_RXD_UART3_DCE_RX 0x49
-               MX8MQ_IOMUXC_ECSPI1_MISO_UART3_DCE_CTS_B 0x49

+              MX8MQ_IOMUXC_ECSPI1_MISO_GPIO5_IO8 0x19
                MX8MQ_IOMUXC_ECSPI1_SS0_UART3_DCE_RTS_B 0x49
                MX8MQ_IOMUXC_NAND_CLE_GPIO3_IO5 0x19
>;

View solution in original post

5 Replies
pradeep2481
Contributor II

Thank you so much for the nice explanation.

0 Kudos
pradeep2481
Contributor II

Thanks for your quick response.

From the device tree file pins for uart3 are defined as follows.

fsl,pins = <
>;
};

from the line "MX8MQ_IOMUXC_ECSPI1_MISO_UART3_DCE_CTS_B 0x49" what I understood is that the CTS line is used for Enhanced Configurable SPI. So I would like to remove this functionality of the CTS line and instead use it as a GPIO pin. But I did not find a GPIO definition for CTS (in the file include/dt-bindings/pinctrl/pins-imx8mq.h) which I can use it in the device tree file. So I am not getting how I can set it in the device tree file. 

Best regards,

Pradeep

0 Kudos
jimmychan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Which pin are you using for the UART3 CTS? you can set it to GPIO in the device tree file.

0 Kudos
pradeep2481
Contributor II

Thanks for your quick response.

From the device tree file pins for uart3 are defined as follows.

fsl,pins = <
>;
};

from the line "MX8MQ_IOMUXC_ECSPI1_MISO_UART3_DCE_CTS_B 0x49" what I understood is that the CTS line is used for Enhanced Configurable SPI. So I would like to remove this functionality of the CTS line and instead use it as a GPIO pin. But I did not find a GPIO definition for CTS (in the file include/dt-bindings/pinctrl/pins-imx8mq.h) which I can use it in the device tree file. So I am not getting how I can set it in the device tree file. 

Best regards,

Pradeep

0 Kudos
jimmychan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,

ECSPI1_MISO is the real pin on the chip. (this is ball B4, you can check the pin assignments in the datasheet for details).

UART3_DCE_CTS_B is one of the IOMUX functions of the pin ECSPI1_MISO. The details can be found in the Reference Manual Chapter 8.2.5.123 SW_MUX_CTL_PAD_ECSPI1_MISO SW MUX Control Register (IOMUXC_SW_MUX_CTL_PAD_ECSPI1_MISO)

0x49 is the PAD Control setting of the pin such as Pull-up enable, Slew rate. The details can be found in the Reference Manual Chapter 8.2.5.277 SW_PAD_CTL_PAD_ECSPI1_MISO SW PAD Control Register (IOMUXC_SW_PAD_CTL_PAD_ECSPI1_MISO)

Basically, you can search the pin ECSPI1_MISO in the imx8mq-pinfunc.h. Then you will find the GPIO function for the ECSPI1_MISO is MX8MQ_IOMUXC_ECSPI1_MISO_GPIO5_IO8.

So in the device tree file, you can modify like this:

fsl,pins = <
-               MX8MQ_IOMUXC_ECSPI1_MISO_UART3_DCE_CTS_B 0x49

+              MX8MQ_IOMUXC_ECSPI1_MISO_GPIO5_IO8 0x19
>;