Does u-boot for i.mx6sx support multi-file image booting?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does u-boot for i.mx6sx support multi-file image booting?

rwilkins
Contributor I

I have a custom board based on i.mx6sx that is booting and working okay using zImage, but I'd like to be able to boot the system using a uImage multi-image file that contains the kernel, DTB, and rootfs.  I am able to boot another custom board based on the Armada 380 CPU using a multi-image file and u-boot finds the three images and boots the board properly.  Creating the multi-image file for the i.mx6sx, I cannot boot the board at all.  u-boot shows that uImage contains three separate images (kernel, DTB, rootfs).  Booting just sits at "Starting kernel ..."

My u-boot version is U-Boot 2014.04-00208-g1bf45e6 (Aug 18 2017 - 15:42:09)

My kernel version is 3.14.52-06608-ge37ae47

Can anyone tell me if u-boot multi-image file booting is supported on the i.mx6sx or how to get it working?

Thanks,

Ryan Wilkins

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

Carlos_Musich
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Ryan,

the uImages we used were developed for old kernels that don´t use device tree, but by this moment i.MX6SX had not been launched, so the kernels supported by i.MX6SX all use device tree and the uboot looks for zImage.

You may check the documentation of kernel 3.0.35 and see if the bootargs is what you need, but the amin question here is why you want/need a uImage?

Regards,

Carlos

0 Kudos

rwilkins
Contributor I

The reason for uImage is because the system I’m working on has two software banks to boot from.  I need a way to have u-boot verify the image is intact before booting it.  If the image fails the boot verification then u-boot needs to select the alternate bank and try booting from that one.  Since uImage already provides this functionality, it would be reasonably easy to test for a corrupt image and boot from the alternate bank.

Thanks,

Ryan

0 Kudos