cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Device only mode

mathew_k_t
Contributor II

Hi,

My custom board based on imx6ull has only one USB. I would like to configure it in a device only mode. When I go through the documents, I found different modes (Host, otg, peripheral and gadget).

1. Could you provide some details about these dr modes and how it differs?

2. Also, I have to use the same port for serial downloading. Is there any issue with serial downloading while implementing device only mode?

3. I hope implementation in device mode will help to read files from device, when connected to a PC. Please confirm this?

Regards

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
6 Replies

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi mathew_k_t

description of modes can be found in usb chapter 65 of i.MX6Q Reference Manual

http://www.nxp.com/docs/en/reference-manual/IMX6DQRM.pdf 

>  2. Also, I have to use the same port for serial downloading. Is there any issue with serial downloading while >implementing device only mode?

no

>   3. I hope implementation in device mode will help to read files from device, when connected to a PC. Please >confirm this?

confirmed.

Best regards
igor
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

mathew_k_t
Contributor II

Thank you Igor,

From the document you have sent, I think configuring in peripheral dr mode can achieve the device mode. Is that correct?

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi mathew_k_t

correct, peripheral dr mode is device mode.

Best regards
igor

0 Kudos

mathew_k_t
Contributor II

But, while implementing peripheral mode, we cannot access the storage. How to enable access to storage and read/write to it?

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

as described in p.273 attached Linux Manual:

"Peripheral mode-Supports MSC, and CDC which include ethernet and serial support"

MSC(USB Mass Storage Class Specification) :

http://www.usb.org/developers/docs/devclass_docs/Mass_Storage_Specification_Overview_v1.4_2-19-2010.... 

0 Kudos

mathew_k_t
Contributor II

As mentioned in the previous answers, I configured it in peripheral mode. Now Could you explain how to read data from the device?

0 Kudos